[Help] Just got my iPhone 4 last month

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prissy, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Prissy macrumors 6502

So I upgraded to iPhone 4 a month and half ago (that damn 1/2 month lol), Will AT&T offer any options for me to get the new iPhone 4S with $199? I know I can get $200+ back with Apple's third party recycle program but it's pretty much useless because I can't do an early upgrade with AT&T. I rather sell the phone on eBay to get more than $200 back. Please help~

2nd question: I have another iPhone 4 that is eligible for ($199) early upgrade. Do you guys think I should upgrade it to 4S and sell my iPhone 4 on ebay? I think I will gain more selling it now than later? Thanks!

2. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

The iPhone 4 is still a great phone, are you a serious gamer so need the new phone? If not wait it out be happy with the 4 and get the 5 next year. Seriously people need to stop with this need to constantly upgrade. There will always be something better round the corner, apple,Android etc

3. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

But if I sell my iPhone 4 now... it will worth MORE than next year (when 5 is out). Plus I get to use the newest model while waiting for 5 and still will be able to early upgrade for 5 next year (12 months)? I really don't need the newest technology but it's like free and I earn more $. Can someone tell me why I shouldn't this?

4. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I think you should just keep the iPhone and use that upgrade you have for next year because according to AT&T's new upgrade policy, your next upgrade may be in 18 months.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Buy the 4S at full price and then sell the 4 on Craig's List.

You'll probably lose somewhere between $150 and $300 depending on how good a deal you can get on your 'old' phone. *

If you really want it, that's probably your best bet.

* (It's not confirmed but it's likely that the new, cheaper i4 will sell for $550 and the 4S will sell for $650. So you start with a $100 deficit. Then factor in a hit you'll take for selling it used and that's your difference. Your numbers will vary depending on how many GB you currently have on your old phone and how much you end up getting on the new phone.)

8. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Message OP is probably on a contract with the phone he just bought. So he would incur the fee from AT&T would he not? Or could he just pop the sim in the 4S and AT&T could care less?

9. SHAWNYMAC macrumors member

you will get 400-500 on craigslist for your phone...

10. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

He should probably be able to swap the sim without a problem.
    An iPhone from Apple is unlocked to take any sim, a carrier provided iPhone would normally be locked to the network it`s provided on.

11. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

not an accurate statement for the US.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

AT&T won't care.

If he buys it from Apple at full price and swaps the sim cards it won't affect his AT&T contract in any way.

This is EXACTLY like if he'd run over his phone with his car and had to buy a new one. Yeah? AT&T wouldn't punish you for that. Same exact thing except he still has the old phone to sell.

(This is assuming Apple will offer an unlocked 4S. They do for the 4, but haven't publicly said that they'll continue that. I'm assuming they will, but I can't say for sure.)

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Serious gamers don't look to phones for their games. Beyond that, I totally agree, I've used all my iPhones for over two years, they all still work great, and I've never regretted it. Saying something is obsolete or useless just because it's more than 12 months old is...ludicrous to put it mildly.

14. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If both your iPhones are on the same account, you can use the upgrade from the eligible one to upgrade the non-eligible one. It's called a "Complex Upgrade". Basically you upgrade the eligible phone, then when you get the new 4S you swap the SIM from it into your old 4 (the one you're keeping) and put the SIM from the iPhone 4 you are not keeping, into the 4S. Then you have an iPhone 4 to sell (either one, doesn't matter physically which one you keep & which one you sell).

15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Take a look at the iPhone Upgrade Guide at the top of the iPhone section. It'll tell you about upgrade swaps.

16. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

can you explain why?
    There is a new policy for a longer early upgrade period for $100+ monthly bill users? As far as I know that ALL ATT users with a monthly bill of $100+ will be able to upgrade the iPhones in 12 months.
    -US iPhones dones't come with unlocked.

-So I am going to KEEP the iPhone 4 that I got a month and 1/2 ago. because I really don't want to pay for any $ for a phone. I just thought that AT&T will offer us some options for the buyers that just bought the iPhone 4 a month ago.

-So for my 2nd iPhone 4 that is eligible for early upgrade... Should I upgrade it to 4S?

----------

different account :(

17. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

So they subsidize about $400 of the cost for your phone and then you expect them to subsidize another $400 1.5 months later on the same line when they've already roped you into a two-year contract? Wow.

Oh, and they shouldn't offer anything to people who bought the iPhone 4 a month ago. That was just dumb.