Help,....Just ordered custom MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hohohong, Jun 13, 2007.

1. hohohong macrumors 6502

Is it true that if you custom your order MBP, you can't refund it if you find a dead pixel?

2. jellz macrumors regular

uh I think apple's dead pixel policy was if you had 5 more dead pixels than you can return it. However, there's been numerous members here that got an exchange for just one dead pixel, but these were in-store purchases. Just pray! You took a risk when you ordered, just like everyone else.

3. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

Chee,.... that take my confident away,..... I'm gonna call my rep to confirm.

4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I wouldn't worry that much over it. For every one person who gets a dead pixels there are a hundred times that number of people who don't.

5. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

That's 1%? Quite a big number

6. jellz macrumors regular

Yeah I didn't mean it like a lot of people get dead pixels, but at the same time I just wanted you to be aware that I don't think Apple has a zero-dead pixel policy.

7. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

I just spoke with my rep. She said dead pixel is covered by warranty. I recorded the phone conversation just in case.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

You should have it transcribed and send it to yourself registered mail so that you have it dated by the postmark, then put in a fireproof vault.

9. alwaysaangel macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure if you're trying to return a custom machine for a single dead pixel they'r eat least going to charge you the 10% restocking fee.

10. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If they say it's covered by warranty, then it's covered by warranty. You only get charged the 10% restocking fee if you randomly decide you don't want the computer anymore and try and send it back. If its covered by warranty, you might have to send the computer in to get the screen replaced, or you'll have an Apple repair guy come around to your place with a new screen and some tools. No "restocking fee" unless you decide you don't want the computer at all.

But you won't get a dead pixel.

11. jawzzy macrumors regular

Yeah! I'm in the same situation! I'm planning on getting a MBP, but I'm hesitant to order it online with an upgraded HD for the sole reason that if I get a dead pixel, it will be much harder to get it fixed somehow. I figure that even if it isn't covered by warranty (if there is a 6 or 7 pixel limit) I have a much better chance of complaining long and loud and to many people (albeit politely) and getting it taken care of than with a custom machine. Any truth to this?

12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

You're going to have 6 dead pixels, all next to each other, bang in the centre of the screen.

Kill yourself. Kill yourself... ;)

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah with a custom machine you might be charged if you have a dead pixel. Just pray that you don't :)

14. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Are you paranoid or something? My point was the chances of getting a dead pixel is really really low, it's not like Apple ship these things out the door defective on purpose, they have something call quality control.

Its not 1% either, its going to be even lower than that, I was just making a point.

15. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

why do people worry so much about dead pixels?!

if you get one, you get one... tell Apple, get it fixed... jobs a good'un

sheesh

if you cant live with the decision of buying one in the fear of getting a dead pixel... dont?:confused: