help! Keep ATT unlimited or go Verizon for SF

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rower, Mar 17, 2012.

1. rower macrumors member

I have an unlimited ATT data plan from the iPad 1 that I have been using

I live in SF but travel around the west coast periodically.

I am wondering whether I should go ATT even though the network is less comprehensive - and maybe slower? - or switch to Verizon.

My only reason I think to stay with ATT is to keep the unlimited package, but I am nervous that a month or two from now they might cap it like they did my unlimited iPhone data plan.

I tried both the ATT and Verizon iPad's at the Apple store in the Marina area of SF, and neither had LTE showing up.

Having hotspot capability is nice too, though at data rates not sure how much I would use that.

Suggestions?

2. imlynxy macrumors 65816

If I were You I buy Verizon ipad and use it with att sim for now. I have not too much lte here. I have att ipad now, but going to change it to vz on Monday.

3. rower thread starter macrumors member

I thought about that.

BUT - Either 1. I pay an extra monthly fee for Verizon data too (because I can't stop the auto renewal on the ATT unlimited without losing it)

Or - 2. I only get to use 3g speeds on the Verizon and not LTE.

4. RCtennis3811 macrumors member

I would stick with AT&T, which has LTE in the Bay Area. If you have unlimited, don't lose it! AT&T has only been throttling smartphones, not tablets (even those with unlimited iPad plans).

Also, it's normal for the in-store iPad units to not display LTE because they likely haven't had the data plan added yet. AT&T iPads will display either E or 4G when a data plan hasn't been activated; likewise, Verizon iPads will display 3G. Once a data plan has been activated on either and you're in an LTE area, the LTE icon will eventually show up (though it may take longer than usual since there's a large influx of new devices hitting both AT&T and Verizon).

Just my $.02!

5. beret9987 macrumors regular

Where around the west coast do you travel? Ive personally had decent luck with AT&T LTE on my old phone in SF but it is lacking in other major cities such as Seattle and Portland. At least for Seatle though, AT&T's HSPA+ network is excellent and I have no trouble recommending it.

I think it really rests on how badly you want the personal hotspot. If AT&T ever rolls that out, they'll probably make you switch your plan over to a tiered plan.

6. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I was in a similar situation. All of our family phones are on Verizon, but I still have the unlimited AT&T data plan for my iPad. I know from my phone's data usage that I would easily go over the limit on my iPad if I switch to Verizon, so I went ahead and kept my unlimited data plan on AT&T. HSPA+ is actually pretty decent in my area so I'm not complaining about speed. If you're not concerned about tethering, I would also say that you should stick with AT&T. Hopefully they stand by their word and will not start throttling iPad users.

7. rower thread starter macrumors member

I will keep the ATT one. My lte is over 16mbs so that is great, and unlimited is awesome not to have to worry about. I am sure ATT will expand their network promptly (hopeful).

but critically, I am depending on them not capping or throttling my plan!

8. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Keep the AT&T one. Sure AT&T sucks, but no one else has unlimited data.

Verizon wins my cell phone business, but you can't beat a grandfathered Unlimited data AT&T iPad plan. If you want Verizon that bad, your AT&T unlimited SIM is worth $500 on eBay right now.

9. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

Like blago used to say "this Thing is golden" don't give up the unlimited. It's $500 now on eBay but I would guess it will be $1000 in a month, not kidding!

10. aypues macrumors regular

Defintely do not give up your unlimited plan. AT&T will be built out on LTE soon enough. You'd be kicking yourself forever if you gave it up for a few months of better coverage on Verizon.

Just don't abuse the service so they start throttling us like the smartphones!!!