Help keeping an eye(online) on 13yr old.....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Done-on-a-Mac, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Done-on-a-Mac macrumors member

Hello,

My parents are adopting my 13yr old cousin & due to the state regulations we need to be able to keep track of her online activities. We're not to concerned about which sites she visits but more of who she's talking to & seeing(web cam) online. She uses MySpace chat a lot. She'll be getting a used Intel Macbook OS 10.5 for her birthday.

What software should my parents be looking at that can give them the ability to see what she's typed(key logger), sites she's visited & she whats on her screen. Remote desktop would be nice but not necessary.

- Scott

2. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

have them talk to her about the rules (and your concerns)

they should sit near her when she uses the computer

don't give her a computer for her birthday, give her access to a computer (even if it's one "for" her) under supervision (at least at first). violations = loss of access. good behavior = more access

good luck

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so why get her a laptop again?

You claim you have to do this because of state regulations and yet dont care what sites she visits? hows that make sense?

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Wow. Governmentally forced spying on kids by their legal guardian(s)... Yikes!

Is this universal for the kids in foster care, or is this somehow a special case?

5. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Sounds like someone wants to spy on their girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse :p

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

agreed, though female cousin in this case

7. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I agree. She is too young to use a computer online out of the presence of an attentive adult.

8. Done-on-a-Mac thread starter macrumors member

@nanofrog - Yes it is a special case that the government is deeply involved in.

@dukebound85 - She has been using my mothers laptop. I was able to see where she went online & in the past year that she has stayed with my parents, she has not once visited any questionable websites. So they feel she has earned the right to a laptop.

@nissan.gtp - My dad has a company laptop that no one else can use. My mother is now retired from work & is on the road a lot writing articles for magazines. She rides her motorcycle all over the state. My cousin then has no access to email & online assignments that her teachers give her. We have the teachers sign a written homework assignment so we know when my cousin needs the computer/internet to do work. It happens a lot at this school. They also feel she is old enough & have her own.

We have talked about the rules but she remains vague on what she is doing at times. They want to build her trust & respect but punishing her @ this age doesn't do much but push her away. I'm the goto tech person & I won't be around much longer, as I'm moving further away, so my parents just want to be to keep track of her online activities.

- Scott

9. devburke Guest

OP is George Michael Bluth?

10. devburke Guest

How about just using Parental Controls built into the OS?

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Given the fact it's a special case, what are the guidelines the state has given for monitoring? And is the use of a Mac the issue (comparable software)?

Assuming this is the situation, the guidelines (software), might help if posted. That way, members may know of an OS X equivalent.