Help-Keeping Calls/Messages Separate

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jsf721, Sep 24, 2014.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

IN my family I am the IT Guy-Sad but true. I have no idea how the hand off and continuity are related to the ID's. (Or what they are suppose to accomplish)

There are 4 of us and we all have iphones. I have an Ipad 2, we have 3 iMacs in the house and 2 Powerbooks. I am thinking about getting the new 6 (comes with IOS8) and want to be sure all the calls and messages stay straight bc mine is a business phone.

We all share an apple ID for iTunes and App Purchases.

We all have our own iCloud IDs for iMessage, and Find My iPhone,

Will the calls / Messages get scrambled or am I ok?

Thanks very much..................

2. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

nobody?

3. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

Really, nobody? Guess I need to go to the apple store and brave that line just to find out. Once I do I will post an answer Bc obviously I'm not the only one who does not know.

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I think as long as you all have separate Apple ID's for iMessage and stuff, you should be fine.

Now are the iCloud ID from that main Apple ID you all buy from? I know people who share an Apple ID to buy things, but have their own actual Apple ID for iMessage, iCloud, iCloud email, contacts, and so on.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Phone calls are directed by your carrier's sim card, so they will not show up on another device with one exception. iOS8 now allows iPhones which are on iOS8, and are on the same Wifi and registered to same AppleID (for iCloud) as an iPad (must also be on iOS8) to "Handoff" the phone call to the iPad. Using Yosemite, your Mac laptops and desktops can also use this "Handoff" feature.

So, if you all share an AppStore account, but each device has it's own AppleID for iMessage, FaceTime and iCloud backups - you are set up perfectly.

And if you enable the "Family" option, you can also easily share photos, calendars, etc if desired.

6. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both, yes we all have separate IDs for iCloud asm iMessage so I guess we are good to go. Share the iTunes ID for purchases.

Appreciate the response. Have a good day!