HELP!! Kernal crashes with Snow Leopard 10A432 on Early 2008 MP - Why?????

Discussion in 'macOS' started by UltraNEO*, Aug 24, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

...so anyone here tried the beta release on their Early 2008 Mac Pro 3.2Ghz? I can't seem to get mine to complete it's initial installation. One I start the installation it'll run through everything just fine until it restarts. After restarting the system refuses to continue; instead I get two kernel panics and after the third the system reboots to it's previous state.

So I'm naturally curious, if it's not possible to get my system running the beta, why should I buy the update when it's finally released on the the 28th?

BTW.. getting SL installed and running on a non-unibody MBP17" is child's play but the MP? That's just crashing no end. Anyone like to shed some light? I'm baffled :confused:

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

10A432 probably isn't the GM then. Come on guys, have trust in Apple. They know what they're doing.

3. c0mp0ser macrumors newbie

I can tell you exactly what the issue is:

Dust inside your mac, especially the graphics processor, using compressed air.

That will fix it.

Snow leopard uses the graphics processor more extensively, and as a result, it is probably overheating from the dust.

I could be wrong, but try it and let us know.

I say this because i have an early 2008 MP and I had kernel panics whenever I was exporting from a screen-recording software called "ScreenFlow". I dusted the graphics card (which was very dusty), and voila! No more kernel panics.

Mike

4. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sure I trust Apple.. but surely there are some other developers out there who are using a Early 2008 MP for software development. I wonder are they experiencing any kernel crashes similar to mine.

5. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I think if that's true, I'll be experiencing crashes without upgrading to Snowy as there's three 30" displays connected.

Any other suggestions?

6. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

What is your hardware configuration? There could be some device that is causing issues.

7. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Oh, okay. That is definitely true. I just thought that since we are so close to the release of Snow Leopard, it wouldn't be worth installing an older pre-release version.

8. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Everything you need to know is in my siggy ↓↓

Videocards in uses are Apple's nVidia's 8800, ATI's 3870 HD and ACD 30" x2 + Dell 3008WFP x1

9. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Any USB/Firewire devices other than a keyboard & mouse? Also, am I correct in assuming the BD-ROM drive is connected to the ODD SATA ports and what exactly are you using for a RAID controller?

10. c0mp0ser macrumors newbie

11. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh.. OK. Non of the ODD_SATA are being used. System boot drive and BR-Writer is connected to the iPass connector via a break out connector. Connectors 3 and 4 are free. Keyboard and Mouse are wireless and on BlueTooth.

Only the displays are connected... Surely if SL is coming, it should work fine with multiple displays.

For testing purposes, The RAIDcard has been removed and backup drive 1~4 are disabled - thus no RAID active but usually it's in Slot 4. Also at this moment in time my Cintiq is completely disconnected.

All audio gear and studio outboards are connected to the other Octo-Core Mac Pro along with DigiDesign's 003R+ is not connected to this system.

12. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Hrm, very odd. It looks like you're running a pretty vanilla setup at the moment with the exception of the BD-R but that should be a non-issue. I'd recommend a couple of things: first of all, consider c0mp0ser's suggestion and check out the system and make sure all the fans, etc. are relatively dust free. Second, try using a USB keyboard and mouse instead of a wireless one, I've seen some really odd behavior at times. If neither of those suggestions work I'd to pare down your RAM to a gig or two, just to be on the safe side; I've had flaky RAM cause problems during installs in the past and didn't notice issues elsewhere. As an absolute last resort I'd replace the BD-R with either a SATA DVD-RW or your OEM IDE drive.

Edit:
    Any chance any useful information was printed with the kernel panic or was it just that useless gray screen?

13. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If the Optical device is the cause of my issues then I would expect to experience similar problems on my MBP17 cause that's been upgraded to Blu-ray too and SL doesn't have any issues. As for dust, the cabinet is clean. I checked it already.

Wait, I'm gonna pull the 3870 and see what happens...

14. `lowell` macrumors newbie

it doesn't sound like the installer runs through everything just fine, because if it were, this wouldn't be possible:

everything would have been overwritten by the time it restarted, right?

the install log is kept at
    Code:
    /private/var/log/install.log
    you might get some insight as to where the issue is in there

if you haven't already done so, see if anyone else is having a similar issue with your model at the one place we can speak freely about this:
    Code:
    https://developer.apple.com/devforums/
    good luck

15. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Nope. After restarting to it's previous state, the installer application has copied everything it needs to a folder called "Mac OS X Install Data" and nothing has been installed. End of log files shows:

Code:

Aug 25 06:06:50 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.MacOSX.lang.sv
    Aug 25 06:06:51 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.HP_Officejet
    Aug 25 06:06:53 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.HP_CHorse
    Aug 25 06:06:53 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.Lexmark_InkjetAIODrivers04
    Aug 25 06:06:54 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.Canon_InkjetiPSeries07xx
    Aug 25 06:06:55 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.HP_Inkjet3
    Aug 25 06:06:55 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.EPSON_DriverCommon084
    Aug 25 06:06:55 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.EPSON_DriverCommon026
    Aug 25 06:06:56 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.Canon_ICAMPSeries07xx
    Aug 25 06:06:56 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.EPSON_IJP08WW004
    Aug 25 06:06:58 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.HP_PS
    Aug 25 06:06:58 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.Brother_Common
    Aug 25 05:08:00 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.BaseSystem
    Aug 25 05:08:01 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.HP_PhotosmartM
    Aug 25 05:08:01 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.EPSON_DriverCommon070
    Aug 25 05:08:02 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.EPSON_DriverCommon095
    Aug 25 05:08:02 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.HP_Scan
    Aug 25 05:08:03 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.EPSON_IJP08JP005
    Aug 25 05:08:06 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.Mail
    Aug 25 05:08:06 MacPro /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/InstallAssistantTool_10_5[783]: ***************************** Setting Startup Disk *****************************
    Aug 25 05:08:06 MacPro /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/InstallAssistantTool_10_5[783]: ******         Volume: Mac OS X Install DVD
    Aug 25 05:08:06 MacPro /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/InstallAssistantTool_10_5[783]: ******           Path: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD
    Aug 25 05:08:06 MacPro /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/InstallAssistantTool_10_5[783]: ******Disk Identifier: disk0s3
    Aug 25 05:08:06 MacPro /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/InstallAssistantTool_10_5[783]: ****** OF Device Path: /PCI0@0/PATA@1F,1/PRID@0/@0:3
    Aug 25 05:08:06 MacPro /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/InstallAssistantTool_10_5[783]: Bless on Mac OS X Install DVD succeeded
    Aug 25 05:08:06 MacPro /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/InstallAssistantTool_10_5[783]: Bless of disk0s3 succeeded
    Aug 25 05:08:13 MacPro Install Mac OS X[775]: Restart requested
    Aug 25 05:08:13 MacPro /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/InstallAssistantTool_10_5[783]: Lost client connection: exiting

Thanks for the developers forums, since I'm not an official developer I don't have access... Even so, the objective is to try the pre-release on my system before shelling out for something which might be incompatible with my hardware configurations. At the moment I can't even get the beta working, so paying for the final public release seems more and more unlikely. I know and have seen hundreds of new and existing users will be paying for the first release but as an media editor and creative professional, I think I'll hold out for a while longer. Perhaps wait for 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 update.

16. nickdjones macrumors newbie

I have the Restart Requested issue too

I'm seeing this same issue, resulting in the grey screen after restart, a blinking folder with a ?, and when I restart with the Opt key I'm back in 10.5.8. There are no outstanding software installs, and checking in the install.log only seems to suggest that the installer has requested a restart after copying all files to a local folder, and hasn't installed anything. I've checked memory and reset and disconnected all peripherals, and not having any luck.

I'll keep trying and post if / once i make progress..

nick

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP51.0074.B01
    SMC Version (system): 1.33f8