Help, Kernal Panic!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by namethisfile, Apr 11, 2014.

1. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

don't know where to post this. having constant KP on my mid-2010 15" MBP! i've only notice this in the last few months (maybe) when I am working in either FCP X or Motion x. Sometimes youtube will also trigger it. but, i wanna post it on here because I wanna do something with Motion X and the computer keeps rebooting because of this.

what do you guys think is the problem base on the screenshot of the KP message?

thanks for any input!

[​IMG]

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Its GPU related - I see a specific reference to "GPUPanic" in the output, and multiple references to "NVDA" and "AppleGraphicsControl". May need to reinstall the OS from scratch and see if that resolves the issue, since you can't simply update the graphics drivers like you can in Windows.

3. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

Sounds like you are having the notorious Mid2010 15" MBP GT330 problems. The best thing I can recommend for you is to try to take it into the Apple Store. They had a repair extension for up to 3 years from date of purchase to replace the logic board due to this issue. If you are outside of that, there's not a whole lot you can do. I personally own one that does the same thing and I'm outside of that 3 years from DOP.

Here's the link for the Apple repair

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hey,

I have the same issue. It really sucks. My issue started around 2 years after purchase but I was unable to diagnose for quite a while, by which time it was too late for a motherboard replacement.

If your MacBook is over 3 years old (which it probably is), your best option would be to download gfxCardStatus and use it to force the iGPU.

Best of luck
    Raptor

5. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

that sucks to hear.

i reserved an appointment with the apple genius bar. do you think that is a waste of time since my MBP is obviously outside the 3 year window? do you think they'll repair it or "give me the nothing we can do" shrug? also, if by the slim chance that they would magically say yes to repairing or replacing the logic board--what are the chances of the logic board they will fix or replace have the same recurring problem?

it's weird that i can replicate my MBP to a kernel panic. i created a little animation sequence in motion x. and i am trying to add drop shadows. this created the KP. i'd boot up and open up the motion project since i had saved it and apply the drop shadow right away. after several restarts, i was able to apply drop shadows to all the elements i needed on my project. but, now, i can't export the project into a movie since Motion X or my MBP will KP and restart while exporting. :(

it's weird, Motion X, FCP X will inevitably trigger a KP! i can almost replicate it. otherwise, the laptop is fine doing "normal" things. i can even watch TV using eyeTV plus 250 for hours on it without it KP-ing! but, i do on occasions and more randomly KP while browsing some youtube videos.

weird, weird. i only started getting this like a few months or so ago. and i have been using this laptop since dec of 2010!

do you guys think it's a software issue like something that Mavericks broke with these older mbp's and not so much a gpu going bad? i mean, why is the KP so selective?

6. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Well, the kernel panic is caused by the GPU. It usually occurs when the dGPU is in use and is being stressed (thus your situation with Motion X). For an immediate solution, just download gfxCardStatus and set it to force iGPU. That'll cut you down to the Intel HD Graphics but there won't be any kernel panics.

Raptor

7. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i have a question, tho. why does exporting in motion x cause the gpu to be "stressed?" is os x stressing the gpu when exporting a project in motion x b/c it is using open cl? or cuda? or whatever?

do you think the intel HD gpu in this MBP will cut it when using motion x and/or fcp x?

8. raptor402 macrumors 6502

I can't be sure at all. Might be CUDA. I don't use Final Cut Pro so I'm not the best person to ask.

Also, it isn't always with stress. Sometimes, I get kernel panic just running Chrome + VLC. Sometimes, it occurs right after boot as I'm closing startup apps to switch to the iGPU. Other times, I can play RCT3 for half an hour before a kernel panic. I think the best way to put it is that if you use the dGPU, you'll get a kernel panic.

I'm sure that it won't take that much of a hit. Nevertheless, it is the only option.

Best of luck!
    Raptor