Help - Kernel Panic after upgrading HD in MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by diamond3, Jan 20, 2011.

1. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded my 2010 MBP 13" 2.4ghz to a 640gb hard drive. I bought an external enclosure and carefully removed the original HD into the external enclosure and placed the new WD 640gb hd inside. I wanted a fresh install so I powered the computer back on with a Snow Leopard install disk inside. I held the option key down to select the install disk at bootup --> Kernel Panic

So then I booted from my original HD in the external enclosure and there were no problems. The laptop recognized the new HD in the computer, i erased it again. I ran carbon copy cloner and wrote 237gb of data from the old drive to the new drive with no problem. I go to boot from the new drive and I get a kernel panic again. I'm completely unsure what it could be. Here is my last panic report. All 4 panics are from installing the new HD. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

2. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Have you verified that there is no issue with your new hard disk? You need to connect it to a computer in a way that you can run the SMART tests on it. Many external enclosures do not support SMART testing the attached disk.

3. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I booted off of my original hard disk that was placed in the external enclosure. I've gone into disk utility and it shows the s.m.a.r.t status is verified. I ran verified permissions and repair disk permissions twice and the only thing the came up were some airport issues and iLife something. After all of that, I was finally able to boot. Now hopefully i'll be able to perform a complete install.

On a side note, could it possibly be using an purchased Snow Leopard disk to install instead of my original disks w/snow leopard that came with the computer? Would that be causing the problems because maybe the first issue of snow leopard didn't support this newer mbp?

4. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

According to the hardware database, OS X 10.6.3 (10D2125) is the first version that shipped with this computer. The version you listed is OS X 10.6.0 (10A432). What happened to the original installation disk? In any event, if you don't have it then you'll probably need to have the installation disk for OS X 10.6.3 or later. The computer could have been configured to resist efforts to install earlier versions of the operating system than when that computer was released. If this is the cause for the problem then you are better off with getting the latest installation disc available because hacking it to install will leave the computer with stability issues and hard to pin down kernel panics.

5. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, that is what I'll have to do. The installation disk is at my parents home in the box. I had the 10.6.0 from my previous laptop that I had sold. I'll report back if that solves the problem. Thanks for the help.