HELP! Kernel Panic on bootup!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smakdown61, Aug 21, 2008.

1. smakdown61 macrumors regular

I'm helping out a friend by replacing their internal hard drive in their ibook g4 (its smart status was failing). I cloned the bad hd using carbon copy to my ipod (set up as a disk). I then tested the clone by booting it via firewire and it worked fine as a boot drive. I then replaced the internal hd with a new one (not formatted yet) and attempted to boot from the clone on the ipod again. However, this time during the grey apple screen I get a black box and kernel panic. It worked before I put the new hd in...whats going on?

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

With laptops, you do not need to set jumpers for the notebook hdds. By default there set as master.

Maybe boot off your external hdd again, run disk utility and repair the permissions on the internal HDD, run a PRAM reset and PMU reset.

Can you boot up in safe mode? Press and hold shift when you turn the unit on. It will boot slow but at least you can see if it fires up.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

How do you know that the new drive you bought is set to master? Isn't that up to the manufacturer of the drive?

5. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Perhaps you should reset the PRAM, since you made a hardware change.

6. smakdown61 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried resetting the pram, nvram, etc... When booting to the firewire drive it won't even get to the point of doing safe mode or single user mode before it has a kernel panic.