HELP!!! Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maclovin', Sep 14, 2008.

1. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

My sister bought herself a used eMac yesterday which had Panther installed. Today I was trying to install Tiger on it for her with a set of restore disks for the iMac we bought last year. I have come to find out that that wasn't such a good idea...but I didn't know at the time. So now the mac will boot up to the restore disk that is in the drive, and each time it kernel panics. I tried to hold option to chose the startup disk, and I can get to that screen, but i get the little stop watch cursor, and it won't let me select the HDD. I can't even eject the DVD drive. I am in a huge pickle right now, and I will feel horrible if I have broken her computer. Please help!!!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well, you can't use the restore discs from one type of Mac on another. Apple lock it against that. And it's against the EULA. You better hope Apple don't sue you :p

To get the DVD back turn on the machine holding down the mouse button. That should eject the DVD.

3. maclovin' thread starter macrumors regular

maclovin'

Thank you soooooooooo much. That did it. I owe you big time. Seriously. You are my hero.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not to mention, the iMac you bought last year is an Intel machine and the eMac is PowerPC.