Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zac029

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
My macbook pro has had a grey screen fill up my page, and it says you need to restart your computer.

The problem is that it is doing this frequently.

i don't have any illegally downloaded files/programs

and basicly the only website i am at is macrumers/myspace.

if you know anything that can help me i would appreciate the response.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
You're getting kernal panics, that's the Mac equivalent of the blue screen of death. Open console and then go to Panic.log and post what it says.

CaptainCanuck

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2005
Have you installed any third party RAM?

If you have, try taking it out and see what happens.

Otherwise, take to Apple Store to get it checked out. Probably something wrong with the logic board.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You're experiencing kernel panics. Did you change anything (either hardware or software) on your computer just prior to these starting? Bad or mis-seated RAM is a frequent cause...have you added RAM or fiddled with the existing RAM?

zac029

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
You're getting kernal panics, that's the Mac equivalent of the blue screen of death. Open console and then go to Panic.log and post what it says.

i do not know what this is.

i am really new to macs

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
is there like any steps i can follow to fix this?

Fix the kernal panics? Depends on what is causing them, something like the Logic Board causing them would require the Logic Board to be replaced to fix it. That's why panic.log is important, it tells you what caused the kernal panic.

CaptainCanuck

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2005
You may want to try using the Apple Hardware Test located on your Mac OS X install disks that came with the MBP.

There is a PDF called Apple Hardware Test Read Me located on the the first install disk. Read through it.

To run the Hardware Test, restart your computer and hold down the "D" key as the MBP restarts. When the Hardware Test appears, select your language and run the Extended Test when the Dialogue appears.

If there's anything wrong with your hardware, including your RAM, the test should find it.

zac029

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
After installing that application did the kernel panics begin?

no because i had the program before and deleted it.

it started about a week ago.

and they happen every night.

sometimes constantly/sometimes once.

CaptainCanuck

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2005
Try running the Hardware Test. If you haven't really installed/uninstall any apps around the time you started having the kernel panics, then it's quite likely there might be a problem with the hardware.

zac029

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Try running the Hardware Test. If you haven't really installed/uninstall any apps around the time you started having the kernel panics, then it's quite likely there might be a problem with the hardware.

how do you run a hardware test?

sorry im really new to macs : [

CaptainCanuck

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2005
You have a pair of DVDs that came with your MBP. These are the Mac OS X install disks and contain the Apple Hardware Test software for your computer.

Follow the instructions either in the Apple Hardware Test Read Me on the install disk or in the second link Gymnut gave you.

Basically, insert Disk 1, restart your computer while holding down the "D" key until the MBP boots from the DVD. Follow the instructions from there and run the Extended Test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.