Help. Latest Software Version Questions! Good read.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iPwnd, Aug 25, 2008.

1. iPwnd macrumors newbie

Hey guys! Good morning/afternoon/evening to all of you. Long read, but please bare with me here.

I have a couple questions that I would really appreciate if you could answer them for me.

I got my iPod Touch yesterday afternoon, and I downloaded the latest iTunes software (7.7) to make sure I was good to go for setting up my Touch. I setup iTunes, asked me for all my contact information & payment information (PayPal), so I did that. I then plugged in my iPod Touch, and named it and all of that good stuff as well. Right after, it asked me to update the software on it to the latest version. The file was a huge 260 MB file I believe, (I did not know this was the 2.0.2) software at the time, and it never prompted me for a payment/never charged me (I realized this was $9.95 software later on) please continue reading.

So my iPod Touch got updated and all of that good stuff... Then I'm browsing the internet, and I look at Apple's website and see " iPhone 2.0 software for the iPod Touch, only $9.95 ", I said hey this should be cool, so I went on and "bought" it (not realizing I already had this on my iPod Touch as I said earlier because I thought it was completely different software). When I clicked buy, I then got charged for it via PayPal, but the download never commenced. It would start for a second, then just disappear. I was dumbfounded by this, and I swear I tried to download it over and over, by clicking "Buy" on the Apple website, then iTunes would prompt me, " you already paid for this, would you like to download it again for free? ". I would click yes, and the same thing would happen over and over, the download would disappear after 1 second.

I finally realized it kept on doing this because the 2.0.2 software was already downloaded on my computer and already installed onto my iPod Touch, right? Can anyone explain why the download would disappear, or am I right?

My next question would be, why would iTunes give me the 2.0.2 software for the iPod Touch free without prompting me for payment? (or could I have missed that not realizing I paid for it to begin with), but then I also think how could that have happened because my PayPal never got charged, but when I actually clicked "Buy" on the website the second time, I then got charged a few minutes later (this being time I spoke about earlier when the download never commenced).

Last question would be, my iPod Touch says it has 2.0.2 (5C1) software on it in the "General > About" section, is this the latest software? The iPhone 2.0 software?

All answer would be greatly appreciated, I know it was a long read, but I appreciate it!

2. iPwnd thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Resist macrumors 68030

You were charged for the 2.0 softeware, so you didn't get it free. You should have only been charged once as they knew you already had it on your Touch.

4. iPwnd thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, I know I was charged for it the second time around... When I actually clicked to buy it (I didn't realize I already had it).