Help-Leopard Freezing and Crashing!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Emrtr4, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

Okay this is far from the first problem on my blackbook (the worst mac i've ever owned and I have had 6) but it is by far the most annoying.

OSX seems to lock up and totally crash. One program (say Safari or firefox) will freeze and I will begin to get the spinning ball. Within 10-15 seconds the finder and all other programs are totally frozen and the keyboard is totally unresponsive. This happens once ever 5-20 minutes.

Any ideas for help? Also I did do a search on mac rumors for similar threads but before I could find anything it froze again.

2. jablko macrumors member

My MBP freezes up too. It doesn't seem to matter what programs I'm using at the time, it's not heat related, it's really confusing me. I mean, I got a Mac for the stability, right? Well, "it just works" doesn't seem to always work for me. I can go several days without a problem and then have to restart five or six times in one evening. Very annoying.

Actually, the most annoying thing is that iTunes starts repeating the same two seconds of audio until I turn off the system.

I suspected that it was caused by faulty RAM. So, I downloaded Rember to test the memory and I have run it many times without getting any errors. I kind of suspect the culprit it 10.5.1 now. The freezing seems to most frequently happen when I go to Expose or Dashboard, which really makes me suspect the OS.

Anyone else have this problem?

3. MacGary macrumors newbie

Yeah i have similar things happening. My imac wont shut down, it will get as far as closing the task bar at the top and the dock but will remain on the desktop frozen. Also safari freezes, only occasionally freezing the system, although i have found that if i click dashboard when its unresponsive it sometimes gets out of it. wierd.

4. jablko macrumors member

I figured out what my problem was ... the keyboard backlighting on my MBP. As long as I keep the keyboard backlight off (f8), the system is completely stable. If I turn it on, seemingly random freezes ensue (and I'm on 10.5.4 now). In not sure if that is at all related to other's problems, but I'm more than willing to sacrifice my backlight for some stability. Still, it seems like Apple could fix this.

The keyboard backlight being the issue does explain why I never experienced the system lock ups on my Mac Pro.

5. 1madcow macrumors newbie

Help! Leopard Freezing and Crashing!!!

I recently upgraded my memory and upgraded to leopard and the computer is CONSTANTLY freezing up. There is NO movement of the mouse, or trackpad, or keyboard. I simply have to turn off the computer manually. Not only that, the bluetooth keyboard loses connection all the time, and I have to stop what I'm doing to set it up again. WHAT the hell is going on? I wished I had NEVER upgraded to leopard. It's totally screwed up my mac. Apple you screwed up with this one. Send a patch or whatever ASAP!!!

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

A hard lockup is much more likely an indicator that the memory could be the cause; perhaps you should try removing it temporarily, but run the Apple Hardware Test first and again after.

If the problem persists, it is possible that your computer has a hardware defect or bad memory in the original RAM that was never triggered by Tiger, but is being hit by Leopard.

7. om3ga785 macrumors member

I'm having a similar issue with my powerbook g4. Leopard seems to hang and lock up after i installed it. thought is was a RAM issue and threw in the factory RAM back in, No good, Ran disk utility, scan showed up as volume needs repair. performed a HD repair, seemed to fix it, rebooted, BOOM! my hard drive totally took a dump. It would randomly spin up and down and when i tried copying a file from my jump drive, the system would hang and the drive was spinning up and down and clicking ridiculously. i pulled the drive out and hooked it up to another machine. same issue. seek errors

i'll be grabbing a 250GB ATA drive tomorrow.

did you try running disk utility from your MAC OS install disc? check the drive for consistency.