Help LION Freaking Out! Losing HD Space, Trash not right

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mperkins37, Oct 24, 2012.

1. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Just sitting it loses HD Space, The Trash Icon never looks full, Every time I drag something into the trash it asks for Password, trash never gets full. I Deleted 100 gb of stuff & it says only 10.5 gb is available. Started at 11.1 gb, slowly dropping, deleting stuff from desktop doesnt increase hd space at all. HELP!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

3. mperkins37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

No luck yet, Biggest files are 20-30gd & not on the drive in question.

No luck yet, Biggest files are 20-30gd & not on the drive in question. Why would trash ask permission to put the file into trash? Why doesnt it hold trash till I empty it? Acts like I toss stuff in trash, trash empties but doesnt subtract form disk HELP.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It could ask if you were deleting items from system folders. It might also ask if your permissions are screwed up.

Have you tried restarting your computer?

5. mperkins37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Restarted several times, Just tossing stuff off the desktop, no special permissions, Ran disk first aid, NO Problems, Fixed permissions, NOTHING. Was able to start up off of 2nd bay $ deleted some stuff I had Backed up I have 80.85 gb now so I have more time to figure it out.

6. mperkins37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

ANY IDEAS WHY TRASH ASKS PERMISSIONS, & NEVER HAS FULL ICON? OOPS Caps lock... sorry, anyway, asks permission for desktop objects that shouldnt have any issues, photoshop, files & video. not deleting...just going to the trash or nowhere after permission comes up& I have to type the password in...where is the .trash file at?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Click a blank area on the Desktop to bring focus to the Finder. Hit shift-command-g (all three at once). Paste the text below into the box that pops up this hit enter. That will show you your trash folder.

Code:
    ~/.Trash/

8. mperkins37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

The folder ".Trash" Cant be opened because you dont have permission to see it's contents.

9. mperkins37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

This did it! Freed up 220 gb of un-deleted deleted stuff....

1. Quit the "Terminal" application and relaunch it, to make sure that you are NOT logged in as another user (root for example). This is important, because the folder we create will get all the permissions from the parent folder (your "home" folder), and only the user who created the new ".Trash" directory (you) will be able to use it without restrictions.

2. In the Terminal type

sudo rm -frv ~/.Trash

to remove the old ".Trash" directory and all folders and files in the old ".Trash" directory.

3. In the Terminal type

mkdir -v ~/.Trash

to create a new ".Trash" directory in your "home" folder!

4. In the Terminal type

osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to quit'

then

osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to activate'

to restart the Finder!

5. Done! You can now move files in the trash!

If the Finder restart does not work on your system, then logout/login to activate the new trash can.