Help locating a copy of osx on my computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jordanfours, Nov 4, 2010.

1. jordanfours macrumors newbie

Ok, so my computer would not boot past the start up gray screen, so I resorted to booting from the os x disc. I had snow leopard at first, but now downgraded to the one before it because those are the only discs I have. It worked and the older version is running perfectly, it's just that it's all the default settings, all the stuff I had downloaded are in .dmg format, and some can't be found at all (photoshop, illustrator, starcraft, etc.)

I think I have 2 copies of os x downloaded on my computer, but how would I access the first one? should I try to boot up with the disc in it again? btw, I don't have the snow leopard discs anymore... thanks for any help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Buy Snow Leopard for 29 USD.

Otherwise:

3. jordanfours thread starter macrumors newbie

i have no problem doing that, it's just snow leopard wouldn't boot before, so would it if i put the disc in?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It should, unless you don't have an Intel Mac (any Mac released since 2006).

Insert the DVD, hold down "C" and wait a while until the Installer finishes booting. It shouldn't take longer than five minutes until you come to the "Language selection screen".

5. jordanfours thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good, i'll be at the apple store tomorrow. Thanks.

6. jordanfours, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

jordanfours thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought snow leopard, downloaded it, and my old copy of osx isn't there. Just about all the files are there (not stuff i downloaded from disc, though), but the settings are all default. Sadly, I didn't have any time machine back-ups to load from... is there a way to get all my settings and programs back without manually doing it all?

EDIT: I found it all in a "Previous System" folder... but I don't want to have to access all my stuff through this folder. Can I just boot from the previous system and scrap the current one?