Help: Locked out of MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blindmacky, Jan 13, 2011.

1. blindmacky macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2011
    I am locked out of my Macbook. I inadvertently threw a very important file in the trash and shut down the computer. Now I can't get back in. Even when I use the master password it sends me to a dialogue box to create a new password but won't accept anything. If I have to reinstall my system that's ok but is there any way to retrieve my files, photos, etc..
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
  3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Mar 20, 2009
    Near London, UK.
    From your backups? If you couldn't take 5 minutes out to back up, did you really care much about them?
  4. aarond12 macrumors 65816

May 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX USA
    Hear, hear! Time Machine is a godsend -- get a small, portable drive for your laptop's Time Machine and use it when you remember.

BUT since the OP likely doesn't have a Time Machine drive, if you know UNIX commands, you can probably start your computer in Single User mode (hold Command-S at the chime) and copy your files to another storage device.

If you have access to another computer, you can also make a live Linux CD and boot your MacBook from that. You will then have access to your hard drive and any external drives that you want to back your files to. I recommend using Ubuntu for this because of its built-in HFS+ support: