HELP Login language

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by philstone, Oct 15, 2008.

1. philstone macrumors 6502

Please help! I turned off automatic login and now the login window keyboard language is in Bulgarian or Russian, not sure which but either way I can't enter my username or password!

Does anyone know how I can change the language at the login window - bearing in mind I can't even log in?

Thanks

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Bulgarian should be using the standard alphabet. Russia I know would cause a problem. I think you might be able to do it in single user mode. If UNIX is not your thing you might be best off to take it into an Apple store.

3. philstone thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got into single user mode and the keyboard is in english - is there a way I can get it to automatically login from there? I need to use my laptop in the morning for work!!!!

Thanks for your help

4. philstone thread starter macrumors 6502

Solved it...

For anyone else who has this or a similar problem I followed these steps from OSXFAQ.com

The easiest way is to

1. boot to single user mode
    2. mount the drive as read/write with the command:
    /sbin/mount -uw /
    3. Remove the .AppleSetupDone file with the command:
    /bin/rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    4. Reboot
    shutdown -r now

Then, use the GUI to set up your initial user. With that .AppleSetupDone file gone, you will get the singing/dancing first user experience.

Then I created a new account that used numbers for username and password, then logged in and changed the account login options to include Show Input Menu from Login Window...

Hope this helps anyone else!

Cheers

Phil