HELP!! login problems on 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by seajay96, Nov 25, 2010.

1. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Ok, I have a 20" iMac only a few months old, running 10.6 Snow Leopard. Everything worked fine last night and I didn't do any system updates or install any software, but when i got home from work, I tried to login and it would not allow it, just the shakes. I usually have a "guest" account with no password, but when I looked for that, it was gone.

Here's what I've done so far:
    1. Tried every password I've ever used for login...nothing but shakes
    2. Booted with DVD and used password utility to change password for my account...nothing but shakes
    3. Booted with DVD and ran disk utility to verify the hard drive...ERRORS.
    3b. Ran repair disk...still errors
    3c. Erased disk and reinstalled from time capsule backup....nothing but shakes at login.
    4. Booted with DVD to rerun disk utility...no errors.
    4b. Changed password...nothing but shakes

So, now what? I really don't want to go thru another reinstall process to a fresh operating system and try to recover stuff from the time capsule. Is there anyway to get in there?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Give this a go.

• Power on the Mac and hold down Command + S to get into single-user mode.
    • At the prompt type "mount -uw /" to make the file system read-writeable
    • Enter "launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist"
    • Type "ls /Users" to check that your user account still exists.
    • If so, type "dscl . -passwd /Users/<your short username> password"
    • Type "reboot" to restart the Mac.

The password for your user account should now be set to "password". Make sure you change it once you log back in.

3. seajay96 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply, I tried the single user mode two separate times and still get the shakes...now, I'm worried. I'm going to just go ahead and do fresh load of OSX and see if I can just get it to boot up and worry about my files later.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Before you do that, try using the short name version of your username in the login box.

5. seajay96 thread starter macrumors 6502

There is no option to change the login name, just my picture with the name beside it and a block for the password.

I even tried just reloading OSX without erasing the drive...no joy, time to start from scratch.

If anyone has any ideas what happened, I'd love to hear them to prevent this in the future.

6. Queso macrumors G4