help looking for audio switcher?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Che Castro, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

ok so i want to use my wired headphones with my mac mini 2012, but i don't want to keep reaching to the back of the mini to plug and unplug the headphones
    I want something i can plug in the mac mini, then have the plug right under my monitor like an extension ?
    so the plug would be right in front of me

i don't know what this device would be called so i cant search for it , so post a link to amazon or monoprice if you know what im talking about ,
    something cheap not expensive

a few things
    my monitor has no headphone port or internal speakers
    i have my pc speakers connected to an hdmi switch that has stereo output, mac & cable box connected to hdmi switch so the mac audio runs as hdmi

now i know that i would have to go in to the mac settings to change the audio output when ever i want to use the headphones , for that i installed a menubar app that lest you change output easily .
    I just want to listen to music while on the mac not the cable box

I did try bluetooth headphones but i didn't like the sound quality and the audio kept dropping

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Hold Option key, click volume on menu bar. No app needed.

4. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks didn't know that

And thanks on the cable , now the waiting game

5. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

ok i got the cable

but when its plugged in to the mac it doesn't let me select my pc speakers for audio
    it switches back to headphones

i went to settings/sound/output and i select my regular speakers but it goes back to headphones right away

you guys never told me about this , I thought i could leave the cable plugged in to the mac and switch between headphones and speakers

even if i disconnect the headphones from the cable , it wont let me select my speakers

6. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

I guess the only option is Bluetooth headphones , what are some good ones under $30 ?

7. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

ok i found the solution to having headphones plugged in and switch between them and your speakers

reading this thread
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2171131

you need a cheap "usb sound card" from ebay , they sell for $3
    [​IMG]

you plug the usb sound card to your mac, it should appear in your volume options , now you plug your headphones to the sound card port

and you can switch between hdmi external speakers or headphones without unplugging the headphones

i will report back when i get the usb sound card i ordered from ebay

I'm still going to use the long audio cable from my previous post

and hopefully this usb sound card works on a usb hub

8. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

ok i got the usb sound card adapter yesterday, testing it now and it works 100%, i can now leave the headphones plugged in and switch between headphones and speakers by holding option and selecting the volume icon in menubar

here is the adapter , it ships from boston, so you can get it real fast if your in the USA

$2.78
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/270925839395

I have the stereo audo extension cable right under my monitor, so i can connect the headphones without going to the back of the mac or in this case, i have the audio extension cable connected to the usb soundcard, which is connected to a usb hub

so if you are running your audio thru HDMI and cant switch between headphones and speakers without unplugging the headphones, this is your cheapest option