Help! Looking to buy rMBP w/ external display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by effeffstarstar, Sep 5, 2014.

1. effeffstarstar macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I have a couple problems/questions. My plan is to buy an rMBP as well as a nice 27" monitor in the next few days - I don't really travel much w/ my computer, but would like to have the option, I'm not really sure which model to buy though. Almost all of my computer use is internet browsing, watching movies, as well as recording and editing music/audio with GarageBand (nothing crazy though). Am I right in thinking that the base 13" rMBP w/ upgraded 16GB RAM should be enough to do this, as well as drive whatever kind of monitor I buy? Or should I be looking at a 13" with a faster processor or even one of the 15" models?

Also, do you guys have any suggestions on a good 27" monitor? 4K seems a little much right now, but I'd like to have the option in the future.

Does this plan seem good? I'm trying to keep this whole setup around $2kish, I could probably go up to $2400-2500ish though if needed.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

2. 1k9 macrumors member

Just buy a 15 and skip the monitor, that's what I did

3. illusionx macrumors 6502

4. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

That's exactly what I did, too. In fact, after using the retina display on the 15", I sold my 24" apple Cinema Display to my brother.

My work machine is a 17" MBP hooked up to a Dell 2412, and it seems like a downgrade, too.

For now, I'll just use the 15" rMBP, while I patiently wait for better monitors.

5. illusionx macrumors 6502

Well.. You got more DPI on both the 13 and 15. If you wanted almost same image sharpness, the you would have to go with a 4k monitor