Help? Losing focus on subject with my iPhone

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kevindosi, Oct 12, 2012.

1. kevindosi macrumors regular

Hello everyone! Sorry in advance for the stupid question, but looking for some help.
    I'm trying to make a short film on my iphone, and I want to have a shot that starts with a close up of a girl's face or eyes, and then slowly zooms out all the way to see her entire body. When I do this by pulling my iphone back, it maintains the same depth of field and my subject gets out of focus. I was thinking of just taking a shot from afar where you can see her entire body, then zooming in on her eyes in final cut, but that would be too grainy.

Could anyone tell me how to achieve this kind of shot? I just want to move the camera all the way back without losing focus on the subject. Thanks!

2. daybreak macrumors 6502a

That is a epic shoot for that devise. I never touched a iPhone and i certainly would not use it for making movies. Those it have automatic focus control or manual?
    Try your far shoot first and then slowly walk in. I think it is a question of how fast you move. I'm only guessing. Good Luck!!!!!
    Lets hope a member who knows these things will help you.
    Why not go tho the Apple Store and ask them????

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

In case you really can't figure out a way to focus during the shot (doesn't the iphone have autofocus?) or get another camera, you could also take a picture with your iPhone. This should be in a higher resolution, then you can zoom in on her face, without it getting to grainy, and having a smooth zoom.