Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newConvert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
My airport extreme stopped working one day, so I uninstalled the software with the intent to reinstall it... howver I can't find the disc anymore! Its not available for download on apple's site, does anyone have any ideas? I have searched "other" avenues but haven't been able to find it... my router is basically bricked until I can find some software. Thanks.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The "Airport Utility" software used to configure the Extreme should already be installed on your Mac. Check in Applications > Utilities.

AFAIK, the CD is required for Windows.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington

newConvert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
not sure how I didn't find those links, but thanks! I reinstalled the software, however I still have the same problem now. I have the router hooked up to my modem, I get a green light on the airpot extreme, however when I go to the airport utility and it tries to scan for the device it can't find it? I reset the device and tried again... nothing... any ideas? or is my router messed?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You can always try pressing the RESET button on the back of the Extreme until it resets back to factory defaults.

newConvert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
You can always try pressing the RESET button on the back of the Extreme until it resets back to factory defaults.

tried that but it still cant seem to find it, any other ideas? All it does now is have a blinking orange light... in the help it says to just go scan for the device, but its not finding it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Hmm, I've never had mine blink orange after a reset. :confused:

On your Mac, if you click the wifi icon on the menu bar (to look at all of the wireless networks around you), do you see a new 'Apple' network that has a random number in its name? If so, join that new network, wait a second and then see if the Airport Utility can find the Extreme.

If that doesn't work, the last thing I can think to try is hooking it up via Ethernet and seeing then if it can be found. :(

newConvert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
well, i think I may have some problems with this thing as it seems very flakey right now. I did a few resets and finally managed to get it to show up, entered in all my settings hit save, it went through the reboot, but never came back! just had the flashing orange light. Tried it again, and i got an error saving the settings... It seems like the wireless is dropping in/out causing the issues... Don't supposed there is any other suggestions? I was going to try and hook it up via eithernet, but only have 1 cord, so i'll have to go find another.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you get it to respond again, make sure it's on the latest version of firmware.

I don't know if this will apply, but a flashing orange light after you've set it up and reboot for the first time isn't always a bad thing. For example, if there's nothing plugged into the WAN jack when it boots up, it'll flash orange.

After you enter you settings and reboot, does it appear as a wireless choice at all to your Mac (using the menu bar wifi icon)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.