Help! Lost all my photos!! :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LewisB, Feb 7, 2008.

1. LewisB macrumors member

Hello. Im wondering if anyone can help me...

I have lost all my photos! Basically, I formatted and installed Leopard, totally forgetting to back up my images.

Is there any way of getting them back? Possibly free?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well you may be able to recover some of them but it won't be free and chances are they are probably lost. Check out Data Rescue II.

Stop using the drive because the longer you use it the less and less the chance is you can recover anything.

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

As xUKHCx said, stop using the drive.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec might be of interest, it might be able to recover something.

Maybe not the most user-friendly software around, but it is free and (probably) works. I haven't used it extensively, just ran a brief successful test on a drive which had lost its partition information.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Totally forgot about those products. I used photorec to recover about 140 out of 160 corrupted images on a CF card once. There is also testdisk by the same people that looks like it might help.

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Yes. Testdisk is great. Won't help in this case I believe, but for the things it support it is simply great. It has helped me restore complete drives filled with over 100 gigabyte semi-valuable data where other products wouldn't see anything at all.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Same applies to PhotoRec as they were pictures from travelling to Thailand so were literally irreplaceable, some paid for applications managed to get a few back (up to 50 from 160) but PhotoRec came to the rescue.