Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwine10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
I had a jailbroken iphone 3g. Before I upgraded to 3.0 I backed it up and put it in DFU mode. When I went to sync it to restore my back up and get my music back none of the music I bought on my iphone synced with the phone and I also no longer have those songs in itunes. I have no idea why! Is there anything that can be done?:confused: I didn't have a lot of music, but I hate to have to buy it all over again.

TIA!

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Backups DO NOT backup songs, photos, contacts, calendars, videos, apps, etc. You should be syncing all of these items with your computer. iTunes should allow you do re-download any songs you purchased on your account for free. You can also try doing Store > Check for available downloads, this might see the songs already purchased and download them for you. In the future, when you purchase songs on your phone and not your computer, right click the phone in iTunes and click "Transfer Purchases" to copy the songs into your iTunes Library.

Backups store settings, txts, call info, notes, etc.

dwine10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Backups DO NOT backup songs, photos, contacts, calendars, videos, apps, etc. You should be syncing all of these items with your computer. iTunes should allow you do re-download any songs you purchased on your account for free. You can also try doing Store > Check for available downloads, this might see the songs already purchased and download them for you. In the future, when you purchase songs on your phone and not your computer, right click the phone in iTunes and click "Transfer Purchases" to copy the songs into your iTunes Library.

Backups store settings, txts, call info, notes, etc.

Thanks so much for the help. I did previously sync my phone with itunes and all the songs were there. Now a few of them are but most are not. I could not find them in available downloads. When I tried to redownload one album it charged me. At least I now know about "transfer purchases"! Thanks!

williamtcforsyt

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Thanks so much for the help. I did previously sync my phone with itunes and all the songs were there. Now a few of them are but most are not. I could not find them in available downloads. When I tried to redownload one album it charged me. At least I now know about "transfer purchases"! Thanks!

Be warned...iTunes Customer Support are normally forgiving the first couple of times for re-download requests but as I have found out, 3 strikes and your out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.