Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBlake82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
The boyfriend didn't update his phone and now he has mislplaced it......Has anyone else been able to use some sort of locator through AT&T or anything? Any information you all could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Sadly there isn't anything that you can do... If you don't have the phone in front of you to setup tracking software, you can't do it remotely... :(

It sucks because I'm sure Apple can block the device from being reactivated but they don't offer such a thing. The carriers also will claim they will block the device (or claim they can't block it) but you can easily just jailbreak + unlock it and use it on any other carrier as you please (doesn't help that much in the US)

So yea... there isn't anything for ya. Sucks but true :(

I'll give you a big hug though I know whats its like to lose an iPhone 4 and knowing there is nothing I can do to stop the person who found it from using the device.

CBlake82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys, so just an update, I was able to sign up for FamilyMap on at&t through my phone which is on the same acct. Found the phone but someone has it and is driving around with it just a short distance from my house.....grr

Weiser878

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Thanks guys, so just an update, I was able to sign up for FamilyMap on at&t through my phone which is on the same acct. Found the phone but someone has it and is driving around with it just a short distance from my house.....grr

Unfortunately, that just triangulates the signal from cell towers, so its accuracy could be off by as much as half a mile.

God luck with it though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.