Help!! Lost iTunes files on external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jpspecial, Nov 26, 2009.

1. jpspecial macrumors newbie

I keep my iTunes music on an OWC external firewire hard drive to save space on my aging iMac. Stupidly, as I was replacing old data on the external hard drive with more recent data (iPhoto and Garageband--which I store on my computer's hard drive), I replaced my entire 36 gb iTunes music on the external hard drive with iTunes music from my mac that is empty!

Is there a way I can recover my data from the external hard drive? What happens when you replace files? Where does it go? What tools can I use?

Thanks so much. I'm so sick to my stomach I don't think I'll be able to enjoy my Thanksgiving meal!

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Stop writing files to the external drive IMMEDIATELY. Chances are you can still recover files using 3rd party software.

3. jpspecial thread starter macrumors newbie

Which 3rd party software would you recommend? Or should I take it to my nearest Apple Store?

4. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

do you have time machine? you can undo some of the files lost...but i would take the drive and the mac to the apple store just to see if they can help the stress. Losing files sucks.

5. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©