Help! Mac G4 (MDD) will not start!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by visvaldis, Apr 21, 2014.

1. visvaldis macrumors member

I have a G4 (MDD), OS X 10.5, that worked fine until yesterday.
    Before going away for a few hours I put the Mac to sleep.
    Came home, moved the mouse, nothing happened.
    I pressed the power button, light flashed briefly, then went out and the fan blew loudly for many minutes.
    I pulled the plug, waited 5 minutes, replugged, pressed button, same thing.
    I opened the Mac, cleaned, removed battery, reset PMU. Plugged in, pressed button, same thing. Fan blows loudly, monitor is in power save mode, Mac stays off.
    What can I do?

One year ago I installed a new power supply.

I'm writing this from a local public library, so it could be longer intervals for me to respond to suggestions. But I appreciate all the advice.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Things to try.

• Reseat ram.
    • Try starting with different ram sticks
    • Reseat video card
    • Try starting without video card. If you get a chime and the Mac looks like it may be booting your video card died
    • If none of this works it's possible your logicboard died. It happens.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

d
    Try starting it with the door all the way open. Mine only starts with the door open due to a power supply issue in the 24 pin wire snake to the Logic Board.

4. visvaldis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.
    Problem is solved easier than I thought. I replaced the battery, reset the PMU, and the G4 runs again. Clean and quiet.
    The only place where I can buy such a battery is 21 miles one way, that was the reason I posted the thread.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A good way to test in the future is to remove the battery all together and see if the same symptoms continue. Glad you got it running.

6. visvaldis thread starter macrumors member

Whoopee! Today I have the same problem as described in the thread title.
    I pulled out the battery, reset the PMU. waited about 15 minutes, reinstalled battery and it works fine again. I just wonder what the problem could be. Obviously, it's not the battery.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Could be an ailing Logic Board...

8. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I have an MDD that does that if I try to start without an ADC monitor connected. It me be the power button board. What display are you using?

9. visvaldis thread starter macrumors member

This problem happens when I use the Apple menu to put it to sleep. Hours later I move the mouse vigorously, but get no response. So I disconnect everything, open the cover, take out battery, reset PMU, wait and put battery back in. Then it starts and runs as usual.
    I sure hope it's not the logic board.
    The G4 has been connected to a Dell monitor since 2009 without any problems.

----------

Today I thought of re-installing the Leopard 10.5. But didn't do it because the installation requires a restart. I'm afraid it will not restart.