Help! Mac mini (2010) won't accept disc

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by cherry13bomb, Feb 14, 2013.

1. cherry13bomb macrumors member

I can't get my Mac mini to accept discs. I'm almost positive there is not one already in it. I tried to search for a solution and none of them worked. (Shutting down and holding the mouse button, etc.) I read that the SuperDrive can fail because of a fan issue. Is that true? Thinking about it, I haven't heard my fan in a while (it was always loud enough that I could hear it especially on startup. I took the bottom off and it's spinning, but slow. The computer is working fine otherwise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. animatedude macrumors 65816

i have mac Mini 2010 too and it accepts discs but it never loads them..

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Optical drives die. Fact of life. Some die faster than others. Get a cheap external. This is one reason why apple is dropping them like a hot potato.

4. gregorsamsa macrumors 6502a

(Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
    I'd have a look in "About This Mac" (click on Apple sign in top left corner), then "System Report" & click on "Disk Burning". If the superdrive is recognized & is confirmed as reading DVDs, you may need to reset the SMC (if you haven't already done so). If it's not recognized, then it's probably bust.

Apple's official trouble-shooting help page for this specific problem offers other possible solutions which, maybe, has at least one you've not yet tried:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2801

FWIW, considering the price of Macs, these slot-loading superdrives seem to be a bit of a weak link. If you Google, you'll find loads of threads about Mac users having similar problems. I've never had a failure but, for eg., my former iMac's superdrive always made a loud noise with some disks, while scratching others. Ditto my iBook's drive. :rolleyes:

However, since I bought a 2011 Mini without an internal superdrive, I've had no such issues with a Samsung external, tray-loading drive. Just my 2p worth. - GL!

5. geeji macrumors newbie

6. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

The Superdrive on my 2009 Mini packed up some time ago, so I got a can of compressed air and blew through the disk slot. Worked ever since.