HELP - Mac OSX Thinks My Apple Keyboard Is a Standard Keyboard for Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Jan 11, 2016.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I was using a non-Apple keyboard at my computer (briefly in place of my wireless Apple keyboard), and I had temporarily switched the roles of the Command and Alt-Option keys so that I could do key commands normally. However, when I paired the wireless keyboard again and switched the profiles back, it still decided to have the two keys' roles swapped. Currently, on my Apple keyboard, I have to do 'Alt+Q' to close an application, even though I reset the modifier keys to default. This is puzzling.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-MDD.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Have you tried to:

- Open the "Keyboard" preference pane, and then...
    - Click the "Change Keyboard Type" button?

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I ended up fixing it. I found out that keyboards each have their own profiles, as far as the modifier keys go. I guess that my non-Apple keyboard was set as the default profile, which is why I couldn't change the settings for my Apple keyboard. However, I only had the Apple keyboard connected at the time, so I couldn't change the profiles. I had to get the non-Apple keyboard and plug it back in - THEN I could switch to the Apple keyboard's profile. This was all on the same pane for choosing modifier keys.