HELP - Mac Pro 1,1 NO video

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 18, 2015.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

So,

I got a new monitor today, but I noticed that it was making a high-pitched sound, so I tried playing with the display settings. I tried switching the refresh rate to 50Hz... and then the mouse pointer began being choppy with movement. I switched it back to 60Hz and still noticed the lagging mouse pointer--not as bad as when it was 50Hz, but still really bad.

I shut down my Mac Pro 1,1 (running El Capitan unsupported) and then booted it up, and now there is nothing shown on screen. The monitors are on and thinking they are receiving video, but both screens display pure blackness.

I thought my GPU was at fault, so I stuck in another GPU that I know works, but ZERO response so far. The best I got, when I simply plugged in the DVI monitor and not my new HDMI monitor, was a mouse pointer in the middle of the black screen. Anyone know what could be up? I tried two GPUs, but to no avail. My original problem was the monitor making noise, and now an unrelated issue has arisen - I'm sort of at a loss here.

(BTW, I am typing this from another computer. There is zero response from the Mac Pro. I tried a PRAM reset as well, but nothing...)

2. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Edit: Tried this with a third GPU that can display boot screens. The machine hangs on the Apple logo, with the "progress" bar more than half-way done. It's just stuck.