Help! Mac Pro died 5 days after purchase!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cate15, Jul 27, 2011.

  1. cate15 macrumors newbie

    Jul 27, 2011
    Hello everyone!
    Terrible situation. I recently purchased macbook pro 13inch. I had it for a 5 days and it died! PLEaSE HELP!

    I hadn’t used it much because it was my first Mac and the operating system was kind of intimidating me. So eventually I plugged my ipod in (about 2 years old) for the first time to the new machine. A warning message came up saying something about too much power going to the usb drive and that the drive was being disabled. I clicked ok and reconnected the ipod in another usb port. The Mac switched itself off completely.

    I turned it back on and connected the ipod again but the same thing happened. The difference being when I tried to turn it back on the second time, nothing happened. The battery isn’t dead, I did the holding in the on button for 5 seconds. Nothing will work. Even when I plug the charger in, the light doesn’t come on on the charger. No lights at all on the mac itself.

    Can anyone diagnose the problem? I am gutted that it is broken so soon. Going to the store on Saturday but would like to have an idea of the problem before I go!
  2. harrisondavies macrumors 6502


    Nov 21, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Take the iPod with you when you go, that way they can see for themselves what is happening.
  3. -aggie- macrumors P6


    Jun 19, 2009
    Where bunnies are welcome.
    How do you know the battery isn't dead? You have no lights, correct? It sure sounds like your battery was almost dead and then the USB drained it totally. Perhaps just leave it connected to the charger and see if it comes back?
  4. cate15 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 27, 2011
    The mac battery was fully charged at the time of the incident. I have left it connected to the charger for 3 days straight and still nothing!
  5. mmduluth macrumors regular

    Jan 25, 2011
  6. altecXP macrumors 65816

    Aug 3, 2009
    try and pull the battery cable, hold the power button for about 20 seconds then try and turn it on.

    I've had to do that a few times when a projector some how drew to much power from a video port at work.

Share This Page