Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2.8 Octo Mac Pro and for the life of me, I can't get it to sleep on its own. I disconnected every peripheral except for the 30" ACD and have reset pram/smc and also did a clean install of OSX 10.6 will all current updates. I've had this problem in 10.5 also and I have no idea what it could be.

Right now I've left it as a clean install just so I can try and figure out what the cause it. If anyone can give suggestions or tips to try out, that would be great. So far I've kept TM off, bluetooth off, mobileme off, all programs closed (no programs installed but the standard OSX stuff) and disconnected the ethernet cable.

Also no other PCI cards besides the default ATI 2600HD video card that came with it.

Thanks for any help

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
re-seat the RAM and re-seat the graphics card, that fixed a similar problem for my 2.8GHz Octo

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
A while back, my Mac Pro wouldn't sleep if I had my iSight camera plugged into the Apple Cinema Display. Probably doesn't help, but I'm just saying...

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions and have completed them all. Even moved the ATI 2600HD to a different slot. Still a no go and still the console logs are empty.

I'll probably swap back the orignal ram that the mac pro came with before I give up. I just don't see how memory modules would affect sleep.

ssdar

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
Netherlands
I had the same problem with my 2008 Mac Pro. Tried switching graphics-cards and memory-banks.
A fresh install with (10.5)leopard and (10.6)Snow leopard but nothing worked.
i had it collected with Applecare. But it was send back without fixing this issue.
Then i found this free app 'Pleasesleep' and now my Mac Pro sleeps properly.
http://www.dragonone.com/products/macosx/pleasesleep/

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions and have completed them all. Even moved the ATI 2600HD to a different slot. Still a no go and still the console logs are empty.

I'll probably swap back the orignal ram that the mac pro came with before I give up. I just don't see how memory modules would affect sleep.

Memory modules affect a lot of functions. Try different combos of RAM in the machine. If you explore all the permutations of RAM seating and it still won't work, you're probably going to need to get it serviced.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks ssdar for pointing out that program and I still need to find some time to try different combinations of ram to see if it'll sleep properly.

dbculp

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
Maryland
Mac Pro Sleep

Check all your peripherals one by one. I have a G5 that would only sleep for a few hours before waking itself up. When I got my Mac Pro it acted the same way. I had been using a Logitech wireless laser mouse and a Microsoft wireless keyboard. When I swapped the MS wireless keyboard for a USB Mac aluminum keyboard the insomnia was cured, the Mac Pro sleeps soundly now.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
If a clean install will not fix the issue, it seems as though the SMC chip on the Logic Board has gone bad. The Logic Board would need to get replaced then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.