help mac/safari

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boateng, Aug 11, 2013.

1. boateng macrumors 6502

Basically this has been happening with my macbook pro for a a long time

Whenever i turn my mac on and go on safari, as soon as i start typing up a web page on safari, a spinning wheel appears and safari freezes for like 20-30 seconds...and then the spinning wheel cursor disappears...

is there something wrong with my mac? this only happens when i turn the mac on and go on safari.

2. robvas macrumors 68020

Clear your cache and history
    Remove any extensions or add-ons to Safari

3. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

how do you do this?

also if i clear my cache history wont i lose all my saved passwords on websites etc...?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, clearing cache and history doesn't remove saved passwords. You can go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions and turn them off, to see if it makes a difference in performance. If it does, turn them back on, one at a time, until you find the culprit.

5. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

oh i see

the thing is my performance isnt really effected. this only happens once i boot the computer up and go on safar for the 1st time then that spin wheel things occurs. after that it doesnt occur anymore...

any idea what to do? i am worried my laptop may be broken:eek:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, that's certainly not an indication that your Mac may be broken in any way. There are any number of reasons why that may be happening. If it only happens infrequently, I certainly wouldn't waste time worrying about it. If your performance is always or frequently being affected, then it would merit more attention.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

7. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm like i said this spinning wheel things only occurs when i start up the mac and go on safari for the firs time and type something. This happens for like 20 seconds where safari freezes, then it works again...

I don't know what to do:mad:

8. b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

How about waiting 60 seconds or more before you launch Safari. Does it still happen?

9. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

i have tried that...it still happens, that spinning wheel occurs when i try and type something on safari for like 20 seconds and then safari freezes then its fine
    it happens everytime but google chrome seems to be okay

not sure if i should go to apple?

10. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Have you done what was advised here? Regarding history, cache and extensions?

11. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont get how to do the extensions...?

also cache will delete all my passwords right?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Safari > Preferences > Extensions
    I already answered that in post #4.

13. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

hey

sorry for the late reply

regarding the extensions....i just checked mine on my mac and its empty. i dont have any....if that is the case then why does safari is always do that when i start it up:eek::confused:

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What do you have your start page / homepage set to in the General tab of Safari preferences? Could it be that that page is bogging things down? Try setting the homepage to http://www.google.com/ and see if you still have the same issue.