Help, Mac see's NAS, but not files sent to it

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theanimala, Mar 19, 2009.

1. theanimala macrumors 6502

I bought an iomega 1TB NAS Home Media server and I copied my entire itunes library to the NAS / Music file. Problem is, the mac cannot actually see any files in that folder. My PC's can see it no problem, but not the mac. I can copy and past files into the folder, and they just "disappear" as soon as I copy them there, or at least to the mac.

I have no security on the NAS, it is wide open to all users. What's funny is I have a Backup folder that I created on the NAS from one of my PC's where I copied over some Excel files to the NAS, and the mac can see those no problem. The mac can play the itunes files on the NAS, it just won't show them to me in finder. I need to see the files so I can point itunes to use that library from now on. Please help!

2. belvdr macrumors 601

Are you logging into your NAS using the same credentials as your Windows machine?

You might also mount it in Finder, then go to Terminal, and do an 'ls -la /path/to/nas/volume' to see if they are there.

3. theanimala thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not logging into it, I have it wide open. What's weird is that I just made some new folders in the PUBLIC folder and I can see them. I then drag that file to the MUSIC folder, or MOVIE folder, etc, and I can't see them. I can only see, on the mac, what's on the PUBLIC folder. All folders have no restrictions, open to everyone... I am so confused.

4. belvdr macrumors 601

I'd check the Terminal commands I mentioned above to see if they are listed there.

5. dont24 macrumors regular

I just received the exact one yesterday. I did drag a file to the music folder and shows up mine for me. Do you see your iomega in iTunes as a share? Do you have the latest firmware?

6. theanimala thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry guys, I am an idiot. Since I don't have any security on the NAS, I didn't think I had to "login" to it. I noticed in Finder there is a Connect As button on the nas, and as soon as I did that I could see all of the files there. Thank you again for the help everyone.