Help: Mac will not exit sleep mode...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bastetbabe27, Dec 29, 2009.

1. bastetbabe27 macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

As of last night, my MBP started acting very strangely. After entering my username and password, it would enter the desktop for a short period of time and then kick back into sleep mode; the screen would turn back to black. Sometimes it will let me stay on the desktop for a long time and other times it will hardly let me stay on the desktop. I called apple support and they had me start the computer in safe mode; even then it occasionally kicks me out. The tech guy said that it was a "strange software issue" and not a hardware issue. I thought it was a hard drive issue; my hard drive makes an odd sound when it unlocks, but it has been doing that for quite some time with no issues. I tried to reset the SMC and it didn't do anything.

How should I remedy this problem? I am running OS X; not leopard or snow leopard. I know I need to upgrade, but this shouldn't be happening.

Thanks,

B

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

3. bastetbabe27 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did reset the SMC, the PRAM and VRAM...

ETA: I reset the SMC again. It started up and then restarted on its own. Is it supposed to do that? It isn't acting weird as of right now, but it might later. Any other ideas as to what is wrong?