HELP! : Mac won't boot up after language removal!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sampadan, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Sampadan macrumors newbie

Sampadan

:( :eek::(:eek::(:eek::(

So.....being the complete idiot I am - I ran Monolingual on my old Power Book G4 - and removed every language apart from English (u.k.).

I'm starting to think that this is the worst mistake I could've made as I think having deleted "English" and "English (u.s.)" it can no longer boot up.

I turn on the Mac - it loads the grey screen with the ticking clock type icon and then the screen turns blue - however after that....nothing happens. It stays blue (sh*t!)....

Why this is ultra bad news, is because one of my best friends & housemates lent me the thing whilst I wait to get my own Macbook Pro in a couple of months.!!!! So I need to fix it so at least it works (preferably also to save the 30Gb's of her music & irreplacable holiday snaps that are on there).

:eek: Help help help help help - she's going to kill me! :eek:

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The bad news is that particular installation of OS X will never run again. I'm sure your friend has a backup of all the things on that computer. I'm not sure of this, but it might be possible to install OS X on that same computer, using 'Archive and Install', none of the 3rd party programs will run. Or iLife programs.

The good news is that all the data on the computer is fine, you simply removed the essential data for the programs (and the system) to run. The easiest is to connect a firewire cable between that PBG4 and another mac. Turn on the PBG4 while holding down the 'T' key. That hard drive will then appear on the other computer. You can then do anything with that data on there.

3. Sampadan thread starter macrumors newbie

Sampadan

sammich - you're a legend (well - not really but you know more about macs than I do - haha!)

One more question is how do I re-install the operating system without having access to the original discs (they're long gone - and even if she had them in the house - 1: I don't want to go digging around in her room, it's rude.....2: if she found out I've done this - my ass is hers for at least 2 weeks and I don't want to go back there ;-)

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Buy a new set of leopard DVD's or ask apple for a set of installer dvd for your machine. The first will be quicker since they are available in every apple store and you can install them on another machine if you get rid of your powerbook. On the other hand, this option will be more expensive.

Have you tried strating up with the option key pressed ?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Why exactly did you think it was okay to mess with system files on a borrowed laptop?

Anyways, if you can get either the correct install disks or a Leopard retail disk then an Archive and Install will get things up and running. The data on th hard drive should be fine.

If you can find another mac, you could try connecting them via firewire and using firewire disk mode.

Out of interest, have you tried booting in safe mode to see what happens?

6. Sampadan thread starter macrumors newbie

Sampadan

teleromeo - Expense is not an issue compared to the backlash I would face if this ever got discovered!

Cheers for the advice both of you! Good to know that I can get this fixed - even better to know I can do it myself.

Thank f*ck!

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You can theoretically install any version (as long as it's newer than what came with the computer) of OS X onto that PBG4.

Can you tell me anything about the computer and what version of Mac OS X was on it? If you can't hit me back here asap (before I hit the hay).

And I feel obligated to tell you this: why did you run Monolingual in the first place?

8. Sampadan thread starter macrumors newbie

Sampadan

swiftaw - I'll ignore the first sentence as it doesn't concern you......

Thanks for the reply though - secondly - no I haven't tried to boot in "safe mode"

Maybe I should?

9. Sampadan thread starter macrumors newbie

Sampadan

Hey sammich - I can't be certain but I think it was 10.1 - But DON'T hold me to that.

Secondly - I do have a 2008 Mac Book OS disk kicking around somewhere.

I guess I have to come clean with the monolingual thing - I was trying to be clever and speed the thing up as it's a little tempramental! haha

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You still have a problem of replacing every single program that was on there before. A good portion will be installed as part of the OS, and something like iLife, you will need the disc to install, free stuff like Firefox will be fine. Other paid for stuff you will have trouble getting. Unless it didn't have much installed.

Good luck.

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Lol, I won't hold you to that. 10.1 was probably several lifetimes ago old.

No. I believe that Macbook installer disc should not work. Btw, how do you have that disc in your possession? Any retail disc of Leopard should work. Unless you happen to have a Titanium Powerbook (two-tone, vs aluminium which is mostly all silver).

12. BigRedOne macrumors regular

I would come clean with the owner of the Mac and have him assist in restoring to the original set up. If if cost money you pay so be it, but he may have everything already. If you do not come clean and it is found out later I thing it would be twice as bad rather then you bringing it to the surface and including him in the fix. Trust is worth a lot of money and a mate deserves a trusted mate. Good luck

13. Sampadan thread starter macrumors newbie

Sampadan

I have the disc in my possession because it's my other housemate's and he left it on the big diningroom table along with most of all his other stuff that gets in the way!......thought I might be able to make good use of it!

Cheers for the help dude - much appreciated. :):D:cool:

14. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

you will not be able to use those disk with your powerbook. It was made for that model and won't install on your machine (also there is the issue of processor incompatibility G4 versus Intel). I don't think there will be lost data since programs like monolingual only affect applications. Get the dvd's in an apple store if your powerbook has a built in DVD drive and run the installer. DO NOT ERASE the drive.

15. Sampadan thread starter macrumors newbie

Sampadan

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I found a copy of Leopard 10.5 and transferred the existing data on the HDD to another Macbook via firewire, erased and re-installed leopard and finally copied data back to the HDD.

Hey Presto!

Good as new - Probably needed a good old sort out anyway!

Peace