Help: Mac won't open Installation disc on boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ultimedia, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Ultimedia macrumors newbie

Dear Macrumor members,

I had some problems regarding my Hard Disk in a previous topic, I managed to fix the errors and format the drive. The disc seems ok but there is no OS on it.

And when I boot (in verbose or single user mode) it keeps freezing on:
    Code:
    "Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext........................" 

Now this makes sense to me since the drive is empty but when I enter my Installation disc press ALT or C while booting it just freezes and does nothing.

I see the CD next to my hard drive and nothing happens, anybody had this problem before? What should I do, it's just a 5 months old iMac from the latest generation :/.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

have you tried clicking on the cd? that should make it boot from the disc, and if your mouse won't move at first, keep trying.

3. Ultimedia thread starter macrumors newbie

It freezes instantly whenever I click on the disc, tried it many times. I also tried different discs and even a hard drive with the ISO on.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

5. Ultimedia thread starter macrumors newbie

Did both multiple times but no luck, :(

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you can't boot from the install disc how did you format the hard drive? When you say it crashes, how exactly? What are the specs of the iMac? Do you have any peripherals attached? Do you have the Apple Hardware Test? If you do, have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test?

7. Ultimedia thread starter macrumors newbie

-I have formatted the drive using Target Disc Mode with a Firewire 800 cable between my Unibody Macbook Pro. I also tried installing OSX from my Macbook but that didn't work out.

-When it crashes, it literally freezes, I hear the cd drive for a few seconds (reading the cd) but than nothing happens and I have waited for like 90 minutes but really nothing.

Tried it both when booting with C (I just get a grey screen)
    When booting with ALT en selecting the CD it just freezes in the boot menu (where you see the devices);

-iMac is the latest 27" i5 iMac
    27" LED 16:9 widescreen display, 2560 x 1440 pixels
    2.66GHz Intel Core i5, 8MB L3-cache
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    1TB SATA, 7200 rpm
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3

I only used for like 100 hours and it worked great, had both OSX and Windows 7 on it, played games and used it for graphic design, development.

-No peripherals attached.

-Didn't do a full diagnose but the hard drive is ok (which was my biggest fear). Did some disk checking etc, also verified by diskwarrior.

I hope someone finds a solution otherwise I bring it back to Apple, it should be hardware related asked it to so many mac gurus but no one have seen this before.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Can you boot the iMac into Target Disk Mode, connect it to the MacBook Pro via FireWire and using the iMac's restore DVD in the MacBook Pro's SuperDrive reformat and reinstall the OS on the iMac?