HELP!!!!--Mac won't start up!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tooshaggy, Mar 6, 2008.

1. tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

Hi,
    I have a G5 with dual 2.5 ghz running the latest leopard and it gets hung up during start up. The login window never appears and I just see a blue screen and no cursor.
    The computer was working 3 hours ago.
    I have put the 10.5 cd in and restarted with the "c" button held down and it wont start from the cd. Same blue screen.
    I tried re starting with the shift button held dow, I get to the blue screen, and my cursor shows, but nothing more.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Try holding down option, and booting from the disc (remember to hit the key, after the bong). Beyond that it may be a hardware fault, you should have it looked at by a professional.

TEG

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try running fsck:

1. Shut Down your Mac completely, Restart your Mac.
    2. Immediately press and hold down the Command and S keys until text begins to scroll on screen. In a few more seconds, the Unix command line prompt (%).
    3. Type fsck –y.
    4. Press Return key.
    5. Text will start updating the progress...if there is damage, the final line will say ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****.
    6. If you see that message, REPEAT Steps 3 and 4 again and again until that message no longer appears. Having to run fsck more than once is normal, because the first run's repairs may uncover additional problems.
    7. The end should read: "The volume <name of disk> appears to be OK."
    8. Then type "reboot", then press Return to boot back off the hard drive.

4. tooshaggy thread starter macrumors regular

tooshaggy

thanks,
    however fsck is scary sounding to me. I just don't want to mess with it so I took it to MacMall. 60 bux to diagnose the problem.
    I will know what the problem is Fri or Sat.
    Hopefully its not the logic board------again. It had that problem when it was new!

5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

MacMall? Isn't that an online Mac retailer? How did you take it there?

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Did this happen after a software update?

This issue is sometimes resolved by booting into "safe mode" and simply rebooting.

To boot into safe mode, hold down the SHIFT key while you boot, until you get to a command prompt. When you see that, simply type "exit" or "logout" and your system will reboot.

It should come up to the login after that...

8. tooshaggy thread starter macrumors regular

tooshaggy

THE GRAPHICS CARD FRIED!!!!!!! $240 for a new one. I just started X-Plane 9.0 beta 24. Maybe that blew it. Quite the sim!!!!!!

They have retail stores... three of them. I live in Torrance Ca, where one happens to be!!
    I get it back tues. likely. 3/11.
    300 bones or so. I wanted to update the graphics card but was told they only make mac Pro graphics cards now, and my power mac would have to live with the stock one!! :confused::(

9. tooshaggy thread starter macrumors regular

tooshaggy

OK. Macmall ordered a new card without even checking to see if it was the right one. It was not. The card was upgraded and NOT the one that particular computer was supposed to come with stock. So anyway. The one I need to replace it is backordered and not available for possibly a MONTH???
    DO I believe this, or spring my computer from them and buy one online and put it in myself????? Or should I just keep it there?