Help- Macbook 2008 (black) Intel Core 2 Duo-Sleep Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jeff8908, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Jeff8908, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

Jeff8908 macrumors newbie

I have a black macbook that I bought in 2008 IntelCore 2 Duo. The problems that I have had in the past are: First, just around a year or so after I bought my Macbook my computers hard drive died, for no reason. Mac replaced it with a new one for free since I was still under warranty. Then my second problem was around several months ago. The hard drive that I had to replace had to once again be replaced for no reason. ( Shut my Macbook off one night, the next day I turn it on and a folder with a "?" mark appears.-results were said that I needed to buy yet another hard drive for the same computer) Now with my third problem, which is the one I am having now my computer will randomly just fall asleep for no reason. I will be working on something, either on a paper or just surfing the web and it will just go to sleep. I have to shut my screen and then open it again for it to wake up. Sometimes this occurs every minute or so, sometimes ill have a an hour, and some times ill have several hours with no problems. Also at times it doesnt always just fall asleep. The screen will just simply go black. HELP!!! what should I do???

-When problem Occurs: Normally no other apps are running at the time, although it happens on a variety of occasions. MOST of the time the system will appear to that it has just gone to sleep (pulsing light)

-Other times less frequently the screen will just go black or blank. If I look very closely I can still see what I had been doing from a very dim light.

- Normally to wake my system up I will either have to RESTART the whole device or I will just simply shut my screen and open it. It will sometimes wake right back up and work for a certain time period before the issue comes back

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It would help if you specify:
    • What year and model MacBook you have.
    • What version of Mac OS X you're running.
    • If you're running on battery or AC power at the time it shuts down.
    • If on battery, what the condition of your battery is. Install iStat Pro to get accurate data.
    • Whether it's truly in sleep mode, or if the screen is just going dark.
    • What apps you're running at the time this occurs.
    How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Check your Energy Saver settings in System Preferences to make sure it isn't set to go to sleep after a short amount of time (probably not what's wrong), also check that you don't have a hot corner setting to "Sleep Display". Another tip is to repair permissions by going to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility, select your hard drive and click Verify Permissions, then after it's done click Repair. It's also recommended that you Verify Disk to check to make sure it's okay.

4. Jeff8908 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just realized that the issue seems to not happen when my computer is fully charged and the power cord is connected. (Currently I am using my computer and it is in this situation. before my comp. was fully charged the problem would be consistent, now that its charged I have been able to use it without problems for 2 hours now.)