Help. MacBook display not turning on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gen, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi,

My black MacBook has been acting up lately. It's been running really hot, and whenever I would pick it up and move it I would get a kernel panic or it would just freeze.

I decided to open it up and clean it and see if anything was broken. I opened her up and found a lot of dirt and stuff, so I cleaned it up and reapplied new arctic 5 thermal compound. I was vey careful not to break anything or lose anything.

After I did all that I reattached the keyboard real quick to see if it worked, and it did. I put it all back together and turned it on. Now the screen flickers for a second but won't turn on. The computer runs, I can hear the hard drive and everything.

So what could I have messed up?

2. bestestever, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

bestestever macrumors newbie

Um while sounds like you messed up the processor,heatsink, cooling gel u applied wasn't enough or to much.

I would research this topic, and hope to jeasus you havent done any undoable damage already.

Do your research on a different computer! lol

3. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmm.

I tried plugging it to an external monitor but nothing comes up. So I'm now thinking it's the logic board and not the display. It used to freeze and shut down as soon as I picked it up.

4. bestestever macrumors newbie

Ok then you probably pinched the Lcd connector or something.

If it happend after you took it apart i would bet you messed something up with the lcd cable, but now im confused about the heat,,hmm i would take her back apart, make sure i applied the correct about of cooling gel, and double check all wires/connections on the ENTIRE computer.

5. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

OP said that it was glitchy even before working on it. I would imagine the logic board is toast, particularly if it doesn't work with external display.

6. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

Hmm, yeah I'm more thinking it's the logic board.
    Is it worth fixing? It's a late 2006 blackbook.
    I found some logic boards on ebay for like $185, from hong kong ...