Help! MacBook dock won't show up and I can't click!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tom13, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Tom13 macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm new here so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum

Please help me!!

Once I start up my MacBook, everything loads fine then it says "the application dock has unexpectedly quit" then I can't click on anything! I know people have posted answers to this problem, but I can't click on anything with my trackpad. Please help!

Tom

2. Tom13 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Go to Applications>Utilities>Terminal
    Once the terminal is running send its plist file to the trash by entering the following command

mv ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist ~/.Trash/

Hit Enter to execute the command.
    Restart your Mac and your Dock should return.

You can select the text for the command and copy it to the clipboard then in the terminal go to the EDIT menu then PASTE.

4. Tom13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't open anything up on my Mac. It seems that I cannot click anything or use any keyboard short cuts

5. aeneid macrumors member

Hit command+space to open up spotlight then type terminal and hit enter. That will open up terminal without the mouse. Have you tried running disk utility? And how are you posting onto the thread? phone? See if you can get terminal open to do that. It should help.

Cheers

6. Tom13 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He states he can’t use keyboard shortcuts.

OP, I suppose you also can’t use Cmd + Alt + esc?

If nothing, then you need to get out your system install disk and run disk utility, and first try repairing permissions.

8. aeneid macrumors member

Lol you criticize me for stating the keyboard shortcut, then you go and recommend one as well... That's hilarious.

Here I have another suggestion. Try booting up into safe mode/boot. Follow the steps here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/21245.html

Then try to delete the filed stated above. Easy steps. power down comp. turn on and when you hear the tone press shift and release only when the apple logo and spinning gear/circle comes on. I hope you can still hear the boot up and you left it on. Try turning the volume up as well while booted normally. Otherwise just try timing it. Hopefully safe boot provides you the ability to click and get rid of that file and that solves it.

Cheers

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I suggest you read what I posted again before going off on your little hissy fit. You WEREN’T criticized (do you know what that means?). I simply let you know he had stated he couldn’t use keyboard shortcuts. And I didn’t tell him to use anything; I stated “I suppose….,” just in case he was wrong about ALL shortcuts.

10. aeneid macrumors member

I didn't go off on a hissy fit (Do YOU know what that means?) Maybe you should reread what I wrote and see that I merely laughed it off. You are such a hypocrite. Stating that he couldn't use shortcuts only to say I suppose you can't use this, but let me just write it down so you can try.
    A shortcut is a shortcut, and if he couldn't use a simple finder one because it doesn't work I doubt any would be of use. Whatever dude.

OP, have you tried booting in Safe Boot/Mode?

Cheers