HELP! Macbook is frozen wont work at all!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cubanfire, Nov 16, 2009.

1. cubanfire macrumors newbie

The last couple weeks my macbook (2007) has been acting funny, it has started to freeze up several times a day, and throughout the day the mouse pad will just bug out, it'll get stuck and i'll have to hold comand and option for it to let loose and let me use it.

Yesterday after it froze, I pushed the power button to reset it, and when it came back it started up with the mouse all the way on the top left of the screen and completely motionless. Nothing works, not the keyboard or the mouse, its just completely frozen. I cant seem to do anything at all now with it. I've turned it on and off with the power button like 10 times and it keeps coming back to the frozen startup screen. I took out the battery and put it back in, but nothing...

I dont tend to use my mac for anything other then web surfing and music and school work, is there anything I can do? I dont have applecare..i'm thinking bout making an appointment at the apple store nearby, how much would they charge to fix it?

2. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

Cubanfire, try the following:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    3. Turn on the computer.
    4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    6. Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Read more at:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Good luck.