Help! Macbook is not charging!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thomaximus, Sep 16, 2013.

1. thomaximus macrumors newbie

Hey guys, my 2008 white macbook just recently stopped charging. The light on the magsafe is off. I tried taking the battery out and plugging the charger in, but the computer does not turn on. So i believe it is the charger or the magsafe ports problem. I tried cleaning the port, but I accidentally scraped off the white/grey coating over the metal.

So I'm wondering, what do I have left as a solution? If it comes down to replaces the magsafe board, how do I know which one to buy? and from where?

Thanks guys!

2. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

Have you tried resetting the PRAM or SMC? if so, the part you will need is the magsafe board for an (I'm assuming since it's '08 white model) A1181 MacBook. iFixit has the guide there, along with the part, but you can also get the part on eBay for cheaper, but look for a good source.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For battery, power, or charging issues, you might try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues. Resetting it will not help.)

Also, check out the link for Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ. Also, for battery, power, or charging issues, you might try resetting the SMC.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

Oh yeah, it was the SMC that I reset when my MacBook late 2008 was not charging sometimes. Got the two mixed up so I put both down :p. Everything worked after that.

5. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Same happened to me. Resetting it did the trick.

6. thomaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

The SMC restart did not do anything

----------

If I am correct, I reset the SMC by turning off my mac, unplugging the charger and battery, holding the power button for 5 seconds, replugging both the charger and battery and turning on the computer.

Still no light on the charger

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click the link in my last post for instructions on properly resetting the SMC.

8. thomaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

I did follow those steps, those are the exact steps that I wrote down earlier

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It wasn't clear, since you didn't mention removing the battery, which is required for notebooks with removable batteries.

10. thomaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I removed the battery and everything. So am i out of options now? Do i have to purchase a new magsafe board and replace it?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you go through the troubleshooting steps to determine if the MagSafe adapter is faulty? If so, you may want to take it to Apple and let them run some tests to determine if the problem lies with the adapter, the battery or your logic board. They should be able to give you a quote of what the cost would be to fix it.

12. thomaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I did. Do they charge for the diagnosis?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't believe they do, but you can call in advance to confirm that.

14. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Have you tried another magsafe charger with you Macbook? Have you got a spare battery with some charge in it or have access to another macbook, if so change the battery and then switch on your macbook, if it boots ok with the other battery installed. The magsafe dc in board has died and will need to be replaced. it's a fairly inexpensive part and is straightforward to replace.

15. thomaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

Upon using another charger, IT CHARGES! So the problem lies within my faulty power adapter.

I know which model to get, the 60w power adapter, but where is the cheapest place to buy it?

16. thomaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

Are the third party chargers good? I don't really want to spend 75$ on an Apple charger.

17. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I'm wondering this too, just in case I can't get my T connector Magsafe replaced by Apple. You can tell the cable is fraying inside the cord, and the cord is about to split.

18. thomaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

When did you buy your macbook? I bought mine on 2008, so I'm pretty sure the warranty is long expired.
    Also I did some searching around here, and mainly people recommend not going to third party products as it could damage your macbook. But the reviews on the apple store for the official adapter is HORRIBLE! all 1 stars ... I do not want to pay 80$ for that!

19. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I got it used a few weeks ago. If you have a Magsafe that is fraying close to the connection Apple has a replacement program for the Magsafe. Be sure you're looking at the Magsafe, not the Magsafe 2.

20. thomaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

I think my cord looks fine, i don't feel anything abnormal along the cord.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or charger, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Apple has not licensed MagSafe adapter technology to any other company, and there is no assurance that knockoff batteries or chargers have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. It's not worth risking a $2000 notebook to save a few bucks on an adapter.

22. thomaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

Any good places to find them for cheap then?

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would only buy from Apple, but sites like Amazon or B & H Photo may have discounts.

24. thomaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

http://store.apple.com/ca/search/Apple-60W-MagSafe-Power-Adapter-for-MacBook#!

I believe my macbook takes the MagSafe Adapter, and not the MagSafe 2 Adapter. But on the link I provided, are the pictures switched around? I want to buy the Magsafe Adapter but the picture shows the MagSafe 2 Adapter if I am not mistaken.

----------

Oh I just read one of the comments,

"I own the white 13" 2008 Macbook, and to answer your questions (if any), yes, it works with it. As for the MagSafe itself, it feel s differently built (for the better), it doesn't nearly get as hot as the old MagSafe did (incredibly this one stays very cool, even on extended periods of time, although that could be because it's new.) Lastly, the actual connector is pretty innovative, feels much sturdier and less prone to fire/breaking/separation issues. It also wraps around a better/more effective contour. All in all, for $79 compared to $99, and the benefits i've named, it's a much better buy than the previous MagSafe (still overpriced, apple)"

So, I guess this does work with my macbook.
    Never knew it would take that kind of shape

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm on my first cup of coffee, but yes, it does appear that the pictures are switched. I would order by the description, not the picture.