help macbook just runs slow as can be

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by armenakadino, Oct 20, 2009.

1. armenakadino macrumors member

I have a macbook unibody 2008 2.4, I ungraded to snow leopard, Id say for the past 3 months any time I open up safari or firefox after I have 5 tabs open the computer runs slow as can be. The computer when I scroll the little pinwheel pops up before I can do anything, it has gotten so bad the pinwheel has to pop up when I type more then 5 words. It has gotten so bad that even after the browser is closed I have to reboot my computer before it will run normal again. I know its not my ram I upgraded to 4gb of ram and I do clean out history and defrag on weekly basis. Is there any solutions that wont require a reboot

2. sparkn macrumors newbie

Had a similar problem with Snow Leopard and WoW. Actually discovered it was affecting other apps too. Reinstalled Snow Leopard from a fresh install and it didn't go away. Since I can no longer boot diagnostic mode, i did a fresh install of Leopard, and, poof, problem is now gone. No need to run diagnostics now.

It seemed the problem was directly related to disc access. For some reason, read/writes slowed down to about 2 MB/sec as reported by Activity Monitor watching a file transfer. Transfers to my external FW drive are now about 30-35 MB/sec and I haven't see it slow down since removing Snow Leopard. Don't understand what was causing the problem since everything was perfect when I first installed Snow Leopard. WoW also had 800 or so threads open when the slowdown was occurring and now only has 22 or so. I'll wait until the next update to try Snow Leopard again.

3. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

I think im going to end up having to do a fresh install