Help! Macbook Pro 12 or 11

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tbdbuckeyeitl, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Tbdbuckeyeitl macrumors regular

I need to buy a computer today. Should i get the 15 inch macbook pro 2012 for 1699 or the 2011 for 1359 refurbished both will be taxed and i get an educators discount. I will use this for basic computer use and might also play some games.

Also do I need apple care or will i be fine without?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

Definitely the 2011. If it's going to be a daily use computer for mostly basic computing tasks and then some games, then last year's model will be more than adequate. What are the specs of each of these or are they the base models?

3. Tbdbuckeyeitl thread starter macrumors regular

Base models. So get the 2011. Thanks for the help

4. RedCroissant Suspended

You're welcome. That saves you money on the sale price and on the sales tax as well. Plus, you still get the initial one year warranty and it will be eligible for the Mountain Lion update program. Enjoy your new machine.

5. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

You can buy apple care later. Within one year from purchase date you can buy the Applecare

6. Tbdbuckeyeitl thread starter macrumors regular

Would I be able to tell a big difference in speed and graphics. What about only having a USB 2.0 and the new one has a 3.0. Will there be a if enough difference to get the new over the refurb?

7. RedCroissant Suspended

There is definitely a difference between the 3.0 and 2.0 speeds. However, there are TB adapters and even a thunderbolt adapter for externals. SO even though the next generation iMac might have usb 3.0, that wouldn't be enough of a change to make the wait worth it.

8. apatel87 macrumors regular

I was debating the same and I ended up getting the 2011 brand new but the MD322LLA for 1399 with no tax at Microcenter in Boston since this is tax free weekend. The have the base 2011 MD318LLA for $1300 as well. Fantastic deal for a brand new if you have a microcenter nearby