Help: macbook pro 13 or 15 for my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neonkru, Sep 30, 2010.

1. neonkru macrumors regular

Macbook pro 13 with 4gb ram or 15 with 4gb of ram?

Most of the time i will need macromedia dreamweaver working with vmware fusion running windows just for asp server testing and mysql/apache server. This is all for test purposes, i will not be running any demanding apps on winodws machine. I can use either windows xp or windows 7. If a macbook pro 13 was enought it would be perfect honestly. my concern is that the graphics card consumes 256mb of the ram system. that leaves around 3.7 ram for osx and vmware fusion. lets say 1gb on ram on windows xp virtual machine. would 2.7 gb ram be enough for running os x, dreamweaver and vmware fusion?

I will be using an external monitor at 1920*1080 resolution dvi or hdmi at work and home. I hope this doesn't consume more ram on the graphics integrated gpu of the macbookpro 13.

honestly it would be a preferable option if i could go with the macbook pro 13 and later on do some ram update. sorry that i didn't mention what i would be using exactly earlier.

thank you.

2. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I would say 13" especially when you're going to use an external monitor at home and home... The hardware should be enough for your need. You might need to upgrade to 6 or 8GB RAM (Especially with Win7)...
    This is not a problem anyway, it's so easy to upgrade that

3. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I would also say 13". There will probably be a noticeable difference in performance between the 15" and 13", but the 13" won't be a snail. I'm not sure how much of a difference more RAM will make. I heard there were caps on how much RAM you can put into MBPs, but this guide would say I'm wrong. You should be fine with 13" is the basic idea lol.

4. neonkru thread starter macrumors regular

MacBook pro 13

So any more suggestions? I guess I will go for the MacBook pro 13 then =p

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The 13" will have no trouble driving a large monitor provided you're not doing games or video/photo editing. The others' statement about the RAM is also accurate. You may need 6 or 8, but it's likely 4 GB will be sufficient.

6. neonkru thread starter macrumors regular

Well i guess that I'm going for the 13 MacBook. I don't really care if I can do gaming or not I only play starcraft 2 and I'm pretty sure I can run it well on windows 7 in bootcamp also I will not be working when it comes to playing so it should be a good choice as long as i get more RAM. Is it viable to use ram from others brands as well? Let's say apple uses 1066mhz clock ram, woul the graphics card support faster ram?

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It will support most brands of DDR3 1066. Won't make a difference in graphics. Just check the brand you want against user experiences.

8. neonkru thread starter macrumors regular

i had kingston in mind. should i make a new topic?