HELP! MacBook Pro 15'' shuts down when pressed under the left side (near the usb port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pedro.lrl, May 1, 2011.

1. pedro.lrl macrumors newbie

Please help me, I've been around and around with this problem. I bought a 15'' Macbook Pro in June 2010, and it has always been weird, having troubles reading some movie files if I moved it around, but everything was fine if it was standing still! A few months ago it started shutting down whenever I pick it up, and I found out that it happens only when I press the back of the computer on the left side, which is really weird! I went to an authorized dealer to repair it and they told me the computer had no problem, that they didn't know what was causing it to shut down and after opening it and cleaning, checking the cables etc. it was just fine. But after 2 weeks it started doing it again!! What should I do? I already bought a 1 TB hard drive just to activate Time Machine, I'm afraid to lose my Mac (I really need it for university!). HELP!

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

You`ll have to take it back in as this is clearly a hardware issue and just hope that it misbehaves in front of the "genius".
    You`re still in your 12 months warranty so don`t hang around...

3. pedro.lrl thread starter macrumors newbie

ok... I was trying to know if anyone knew why this happened, because not even the "genius" was able to figure it out :S For sure, I'll take it back, but I just wanted some more information :S Thanks anyway!

4. MACrocenter macrumors newbie

I have the 2011 Macbook Pro 13" and Ive got the same problem. It started going to sleep when I plugged anything into the USB cables or headphone jack but now it has become more sensitive, and a slight tap to the left side will turn it off.

When I open the case from sleep, it does not respond until I tap the left side again.... I brought it into the Apple Store already, they have ordered new parts and will repair tonight... hopefully it works.