Help! MacBook pro 2010 not charging. REALLY STRANGE!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grindcorey, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Grindcorey macrumors newbie

I have had my MacBook since October of 2010 and I've loved ALMOST every second of owning it. My problem is that one day it just decided to stop charging (3days ago approx.) at first I thought it was an issue with the charger because about 5 months ago I had to have it replaced (under warranty). So naturally I thought the issue was, once again, the charger. After trying about 3 or 4 different chargers, both from friends and in an Apple store, I realized that the charger was in fact not the issue. It seems to be something internal. The STRANGE thing about it is that when I plug in any charger, the green light on the MagSafe is in fact lit, but it's VERY dim and seems to be flashing/flickering orange as if trying to switch to charging mode. With one charger I was actually able to get the orange light to fully illuminate but it only lasted for about 4 seconds before fading to a dim orange and then a dim green again.

I have read other threads on similar issues but have not been able to find anyone with the same problem so I'm starting this one in the hopes that I can find a solution. The bad thig is that I am out of warranty and I'm sure a repair by an apple tech will more than likely cost an arm and a leg. Any help or info would be awesome and well appreciated :)

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

have you tried to re-calibrate the battery?

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Maybe check the charging port on your MBP for any sort of dirt, fuzz, etc. that might be interfering with it getting a good connection with the plug. That's the only thing I can think of.

4. iMacC2D, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  5. Grindcorey thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't yet. I'm still quite the noob when it comes to such things. But I don't has the MacBook with me. It's at a repair center. And also even if I did, I can't get t to charge so it's been "dead" for a few days. I ran it to the end of it's charge cycle and then the next day when I tried to plug it in, it started with what I explained above.

6. Grindcorey thread starter macrumors newbie

I will have to try that when I get it back from the tech support. If it is an internal component do you believe that it will be pretty expensive?

Side note: my friend said that his older pro had a motherboard silent recall and when his fried they tried to charge him tons. When he found out about the recall, they repaired it for free of course. Do you know of any recalls (silent or otherwise) for my gen of MacBook?

7. iMacC2D, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Newer unibody models with built-in batteries come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration. Calibration wouldn't affect charging at all, only the accuracy of the battery readings.

Reset the SMC, as suggested, and troubleshoot the MagSafe adapter. Instructions for both in the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

9. Grindcorey thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok they said that the logic board is water damaged which is crazy because I've never had my computer anywhere near water. Also they said the MagSafe port is broken. Could it be that if two repair the just the MagSafe that the logicboard could still work? Maybe they're just trying to get more money out of me?