Help! MacBook Pro Angst and Aperture

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by denilson16, Mar 2, 2011.

1. denilson16 macrumors newbie

Since Apple introduced the App store for Mac I jumped on buying Aperture. But it runs pretty sloe on my iMac and I want to do some of my editing in front of the TV and my 13" Macbook Pro doesn't cut the mustard.

SO on Saturday I pounced on a 15" 2010 2.4Ghz i5 MacBook Pro with antiglare Hi res screen for a steal at $1550 (australian). I received it yesterday bit haven't opened it as I am now lusting after the newer version already.

Best quote I've had is for 2.2Ghz 15" with Antiglare for $2200. Is it worth the extra $650 for the processing power, a bigger hard drive and an HD camera. In reality I don't think I'll be making much use of thunderbolt in the near future, but could do with better processing of RAW images in Aperture.

I only have a couple of days left before I can't take the 2010 one back.

Any advice would be much appreciated

2. dnlt macrumors newbie

Some threads show a significant boost in speed comparing 2.0 vs the 2.2.... Some say it is a waste to buy the low end 15". In the end it is your call though. If I did a lot of video editing I would want the 2.2 :]

3. denilson16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. The 2.4 i5 I think would be quite a bit slower but I was wondering how it would perform with Aperture - I don't do an awful lot of video editing so am not too concerned about video performance. As I said $650 is quite a difference.

4. dnlt macrumors newbie

I guess it depends on how much speed you want and future programs you will be using. If you don't plan on doing anything else besides aperature... and would only use this minimally for this task then I would go for the 2010. I don't rly think you need the speed anyway since your in front of the TV and not really focusing on editing anyway ;]

But if I were in your shoes.. 650$ for very significant speed bonus... I probably just upgrade.

5. denilson16 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did actually think about that!! One of the frustrating things about the iMac is that it's in the other room so I tend to notice some of the slowness more!

My other thought is to spend the extra money on a SSD and 8GB RAM