Help! MacBook Pro Backlight

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smpo1986, Jun 21, 2008.

1. smpo1986 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for some advice/help with my MacBook Pro. The backlight appears to have died, I can still see the screen very faintly, but it is pretty much unusable. Is it possible to have this fixed? Can I do it myself? Any advice on the matter from anyone?

It's a couple of years old, I got it pretty much after they came out, with a 15" screen. Thanks!

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

It depends on how Apple sells the replacement parts. I would expect they sell the complete LCD panel assembly, so you'd just remove your current lid and replace it with the new one. However, this will be expensive since your paying to replace everything, instead of just the lamp (which is likely what failed).

It might end up being cheaper to have a professional facility perform the work if they can just replace the failed lamp. Or you could do it yourself if you're both very comfortable with and competent at disassembling a computer, but you'd need to identify the lamp model and order it separately and I don't know how it's attached (their might be some soldering needed, for example).

3. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

I've not had a MacBook apart, but have taken apart several other models of Mac laptops. If you have not disassembled a laptop before you might want to consider having someone do it for you.

Here's a couple of places that will do it for you. If you Google "macbook lcd replacement 15" you will find these and many others.

http://www.macservice.com/screens.html?gclid=CPKXsILthZQCFQ3_sgodRRnuWg

http://www.welovemacs.com/apmaprolcdre12.html

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

Have you tried resetting the PRAM? Press and hold command option P R while rebooting the machine until you hear the boot sound twice.

5. backache macrumors newbie

Man...

I bought my 1st Gen. MBP CD right when they came out too, and my backlight went out last night. The screen flickered for about 10 seconds then died. It works if I reboot, for about 10 minutes before dying again.

Total bogus:(